Would you treat for coccidiosis or worms?

Lillith37

Specially interested in chickens
Jan 7, 2023
Melbourne, Australia
Hello everyone,

Whitetail, my ~1.5yo isa brown hen has had a collection of symptoms for the past week and I’m not sure if there’s anything else I should be doing for her in response.

A few weeks ago, Lorraine, a 4yo leghorn hen was suddenly re-homed to me and I didn’t have the presence of mind or resource to effectively quarantine her. She joined my flock immediately.

Lorraine brought an infestation of lice with her and I know she has probably brought a new strain of coccidiosis to my flock.

Over the past week I have seen 3x droppings with red/orange bits of various severity. I know that intestinal sloughing is a normal thing and seeing these droppings sometimes is not a cause for concern. I also know it can be caused by an overload of worms and/or coccidiosis. I don’t know who out of my flock was responsible, but they were adult sized droppings. I have six hens, one of whom has six chicks just under one month old. I also have two pullets who are almost five months old. They free range together in my back yard.

Over the past week or so, Whitetail has been laying irregularly/infrequently. There was also an early case of two soft shelled eggs overnight, one of which may have been from her. She usually lays every day with the occasional missed day. I think she also has a slightly decreased appetite and slow crop. Sometimes in the morning it is not completely empty, but not sour/doughy/impacted. Otherwise, Whitetail has been acting totally normally… until this morning, when she was droopy, puffy, lethargic and still. She had watery white diarrhoea. I separated her and she laid a broken soft shelled egg. The yolk was intact so I’m not sure if it just broke upon being laid. Later in the morning she returned to her usual demeanour, itching to get out and wanting to eat the dog’s food. She did three subsequent droppings; one normal, one caecal and one that looked to have some of the intestinal bits. I have attached a photo of this and of the egg.

My flock was wormed with levamisole in the spring (it’s mid-summer here now) with the exception of Lorraine who was wormed last week. I also treated everyone with ivermectin drops to address the lice (and any potential mites) situation. I had initially treated with a rotenone/sulfur dust for the lice but read terrible things about rotenone so thought I’d try out ivermectin instead. I’ve read varying accounts of success and it seems easier and safer than the dust. I believe there is also a permethrin spray I can get from the pet shops around here.

My flock has free access to feed with shell grit and oyster shell available at all times. I sourced a calcium, vitamin D and vitamin K supplement for Whitetail today.

My closest vet quoted $200AUD for a fecal float test which is fairly out of my budget but I will do it if I have no other choice.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I’m wondering if I should treat the flock for coccidiosis, but everyone else (even the chicks) seem perfectly fine and normal. I’m also wondering whether I should treat with levimasole for worms, continue with the dust or switch to permethrin spray for the lice — on top of the ivermectin. Or should I just wait things out and see if anything changes? Are there any other possibilities of what could be wrong?

Any thoughts are welcome. I’ve had chickens for less than a year and I’m still learning all the time.

Attachments

• 76E4B07B-C7C0-4A31-9D77-EDF182B4B03F.jpeg
    76E4B07B-C7C0-4A31-9D77-EDF182B4B03F.jpeg
    634.7 KB · Views: 62
  • A96E234F-8DAC-4B2B-848B-BECC1F746A04.jpeg
    A96E234F-8DAC-4B2B-848B-BECC1F746A04.jpeg
    234.8 KB · Views: 10
It seems possible that you just have one sick chicken, Whitetail, but she could also just be the first to show symptoms. With a new hen and a mixed flock cocci is a possibility and while I'm far from convinced it is an issue, I don't think it would hurt to treat for it. If it helps great, if not you can at least cross it off the list of possible issues.

Also a note on ivermectin. It's effective against mites, but less so (or not at all) against lice as not all lice ingest the chicken's blood. For lice I use a permethrin based spray or dust.

Does anyone have any advice on what I should do? I’m wondering if I should treat the flock for coccidiosis, but everyone else (even the chicks) seem perfectly fine and normal. I’m also wondering whether I should treat with levimasole for worms, continue with the dust or switch to permethrin spray for the lice — on top of the ivermectin. Or should I just wait things out and see if anything changes? Are there any other possibilities of what could be wrong?
On your other thread you mention tapeworms. If she has Tapeworms, this is very likely impacting egg quality and the poop. You have received very good suggestions on the other thread (linked below) about how to treat your hen.

Since you are in AU, look for Pestene to treat the lice.

Here's your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...th-tapeworm-until-medication-arrives.1561993/

On your other thread you mention tapeworms. If she has Tapeworms, this is very likely impacting egg quality and the poop. You have received very good suggestions on the other thread (linked below) about how to treat your hen.

Since you are in AU, look for Pestene to treat the lice.

Here's your other thread.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...th-tapeworm-until-medication-arrives.1561993/
Thanks so much for your reply. I do have Pestene and I did use it and it works but I’ve read that the active ingredient rotenone has been linked to Parkinson’s… I use PPE and do my best not to let the chickens inhale it but I guess I’m a little scared of all these chemicals and whether I’m doing more harm than good. Reading up online about the treatments/medications for various chicken ailments/parasites is conflicting, confusing and overwhelming. It doesn’t help that my closest vet didn’t know what a chicken crop was 🤦

It seems possible that you just have one sick chicken, Whitetail, but she could also just be the first to show symptoms. With a new hen and a mixed flock cocci is a possibility and while I'm far from convinced it is an issue, I don't think it would hurt to treat for it. If it helps great, if not you can at least cross it off the list of possible issues.

Also a note on ivermectin. It's effective against mites, but less so (or not at all) against lice as not all lice ingest the chicken's blood. For lice I use a permethrin based spray or dust.
Thanks for your reply. I’m going to treat for tapeworm and see if she gets better and then treat for coccidiosis if not. I’m scared of loading her up with too many meds at once. I’m also wondering if she could be more affected by coccidiosis because she has the worm load, especially as the others including the chicks are unaffected. I saw on a different thread that giving some buttermilk can help as a probiotic/coating the intestinal walls so I’m going to get some of that for her on the way home. I used Pestene/rotenone dust for the lice as well but there is a permethrin spray I can get from the pet shop.

Thanks for your reply. I’m going to treat for tapeworm and see if she gets better and then treat for coccidiosis if not. I’m scared of loading her up with too many meds at once. I’m also wondering if she could be more affected by coccidiosis because she has the worm load, especially as the others including the chicks are unaffected. I saw on a different thread that giving some buttermilk can help as a probiotic/coating the intestinal walls so I’m going to get some of that for her on the way home. I used Pestene/rotenone dust for the lice as well but there is a permethrin spray I can get from the pet shop.
Sounds like a good plan. And you are definitely not alone in wondering whether you could be making things worse by "over-treating". Without tests it can be impossible to know what the problem is and you just have to hope it's something curable and start treating for the most likely causes. Seems like you are doing your research and considering all the possibilities which is the best we can do sometimes. Let us know how she gets on.

Sounds like a good plan. And you are definitely not alone in wondering whether you could be making things worse by "over-treating". Without tests it can be impossible to know what the problem is and you just have to hope it's something curable and start treating for the most likely causes. Seems like you are doing your research and considering all the possibilities which is the best we can do sometimes. Let us know how she gets on.
Hey there, so it turned out to be tapeworms and I was given advice to treat with praziquantel which has worked and Whitetail is much restored to her usual self 🤗

Back
Top Bottom