Wound care… dog attack!

Pics
A dog got into my chicken yard and killed 13 of my hens and I have three with injuries. I have them inside in dog crates and I have been spaying vetimycin (spl?) I think the one with the worst wound is starting to stink! What should I do?

It just happened yesterday so it shouldn’t already be stinking right?
I'm sorry for your losses.

Can you post photos of the wounds?

If possible, try to get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) to clean the wounds really well. Trim feathers away from the wounds so they are easier to see and will stay cleaner. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.
If any of the wounds are about the face/eyes, then use Saline to flush them out. Triple antibiotic ointment once cleaned.

Could possibly be stinking in 24hrs, do you see any maggots in the wounds?

Are they eating/drinking on their own?

I'm sorry for your losses.

Can you post photos of the wounds?

If possible, try to get some Chlorhexidine (Hibiclens) to clean the wounds really well. Trim feathers away from the wounds so they are easier to see and will stay cleaner. Apply triple antibiotic ointment to the wounds.
If any of the wounds are about the face/eyes, then use Saline to flush them out. Triple antibiotic ointment once cleaned.

Could possibly be stinking in 24hrs, do you see any maggots in the wounds?

Are they eating/drinking on their own?
Thank you.
Today I bathed them and found secondary wounds🙄 I don’t think they stink, I think it may have been a big poop…. They definitely don’t have maggots and the wounds are looking okay. When I soaked them I was able to remove the feathers. They are eating and drinking on their own but two of them are not eating very much at all.… pretty much only shredded cheese. Kelly has the less severe wounds and is doing well and eating everything. I am spraying them three times a day and tomorrow I am getting neosporin. The wounds are all on their backs.
Now I did notice today that Rosemary’s wound is looking like it may have puss. Maybe cleaning it today helped so I’ll see how it looks tomorrow.
Could they still be in shock? I know I am😢
Thank you so much

Thank you.
Today I bathed them and found secondary wounds🙄 I don’t think they stink, I think it may have been a big poop…. They definitely don’t have maggots and the wounds are looking okay. When I soaked them I was able to remove the feathers. They are eating and drinking on their own but two of them are not eating very much at all.… pretty much only shredded cheese. Kelly has the less severe wounds and is doing well and eating everything. I am spraying them three times a day and tomorrow I am getting neosporin. The wounds are all on their backs.
Now I did notice today that Rosemary’s wound is looking like it may have puss. Maybe cleaning it today helped so I’ll see how it looks tomorrow.
Thank you so much
I am so sorry.
Try mixing a spoon (one) full of tunafish with 1/3 cup worth of chicken feed and a little water.

Now is a really important time for them to get proper nutriotion so they don't go downhill.
Injured birds can go downhill fast especially if they aren't eating well so don't offer treats because they will learn to refuse the feed just to get the treats.

Having them caged will give you a great idea on how much they are eating.
On average a full grown hen should each about 3/4 cups worth of chicken pelleted or crumbles.

Thank you.
Thank you so much
Could still be in shock.

I'd work on hydration. Electrolytes (Sav A Chick, Regular Gatorade, Pedialyte, etc.) or you can give sugar water (1tsp sugar to 1cup water) to help boost them.

Often they go off food when injured, but do your best to encourage them to eat their normal feed. You can offer it wet/mushy or dry. Bits of egg, fish or meat may add interest. Some find watery foods/fruits interesting - things like a little watermelon, tomato or cucumber on top of the feed.
Main thing is hydration, then eating.

When you can, get some photos, especially if you think there's pus. It may just be white blood cells that you see or even some chicken fat, just depends on what it looks like.
No odor is a good thing. Keep up with spraying the Vetericyn.

Thank yall! I put Sav a Chick in the water. Maryn has the worst wounds and at first she was eating and drinking but now hardy anything! She stands up and looks perky but not eating.. I almost think it may be because she is by herself. I saw her look through the cracks of the dog crates and she saw Kelly and Rosemary eating and then went to try hers but didn’t really eat anything. I think they encourage each other and she may be sad alone🤷🏼‍♀️ I have the two in a large crate and she in a smaller one but they can kind of see through the little cracks. I also didn’t want her wounds to be pecked at. I will try to get picks later on. To me, their wounds are looking good but I could be wrong.

Thank yall! I put Sav a Chick in the water. Maryn has the worst wounds and at first she was eating and drinking but now hardy anything! She stands up and looks perky but not eating.. I almost think it may be because she is by herself. I saw her look through the cracks of the dog crates and she saw Kelly and Rosemary eating and then went to try hers but didn’t really eat anything. I think they encourage each other and she may be sad alone🤷🏼‍♀️ I have the two in a large crate and she in a smaller one but they can kind of see through the little cracks. I also didn’t want her wounds to be pecked at. I will try to get picks later on. To me, their wounds are looking good but I could be wrong.
You're right, if they be near and see one another, they do much better.

Is there a way that you can let them together to interact and eat together? Very often folks that have sick or injured chickens take them outside for playtime, just to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine, see one another and lounge about. Something to consider.

You're right, if they be near and see one another, they do much better.

Is there a way that you can let them together to interact and eat together? Very often folks that have sick or injured chickens take them outside for playtime, just to enjoy some fresh air and sunshine, see one another and lounge about. Something to consider.
I put them out in a small yard inside their yard for a bit before I bathed them the other day. They seemed very nervous and not happy as this was where the trauma happened. So they weren’t out for very long. I am also worried about flies but especially ants! The ants are horrible right now because no water! It hasn’t rained in months! So I am trying to come up with something that I can put inside, like a play pen of sorts... where I can let them spend time together.

Kelly
IMG_0151.jpeg
IMG_0152.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom