Wound care… dog attack!

Your girls look good with all you've been doing! It's emotional to manage tending their wounds and you should be really proud of your Doctoring!
To note - Vetericyn is not an antibiotic. It is the best product I've seen for wound care. But if you're managing infection, Triple Antibiotic in & around the wound - you shouldn't need both now.

What you might add to their feed is a product such as Kickin Chicken or Rooster Booster. These are formulated to give best vitamins for your girls.
Mix up Kickin Chicken with a little water and their feed to make watery oatmeal texture. They'll drink up the fluid on top which hydrates and boosts their system and the "mash" fills them up. Rooster Booster - I prefer the pellet top dressing, the liquid has a strong taste my hens don't always go for. The pellets can be sprinkled in with their feed.

Also, you might add a covered shelter area in their run that mimics your table-coop. That might help them get used to being outside again and give them a hiding area if they're nervous. You could use an old card table, 3-4 pallets, even 2 flat boards leaned together a-frame style. I've used Chewy boxes and 2x4's as a temporary hide out too.
Good luck - you seem to be on the right track and will have more years with your "friends" 😁
Thank you so very much for all the advice! I may try some of those food tricks… they are doing well so not sure if they need it but it couldn’t hurt😊
And in the coop I do have an area that is covered and I can section off… it’s usually where I keep the new chicks, but it’s on the ground and the ants are really bad right now so I want to make sure the wounds are completely healed before I put them out. I also don’t want the wounds getting dirty.
I sprayed vinegar in the run and I think it has deterred the ants but I have to double check that.
Thank you again ❤️☺️

Here they are today❤️
IMG_0158.jpeg
IMG_0157.jpeg

They look good!

They will eventually enjoy being back outside. Chickens love fresh air/sunshine and dirt.

I also like the idea that @Onyxflock came up with by providing them some type of table fort when they go back out, at least temporarily until they become more comfortable.

I've had predator attacks, and the birds are always skittish/flighty for a while until things settle back down, so since they have been inside for a while, when it comes to transitioning back outside, having a hiding place may make it less stressful for them.

They look good!

They will eventually enjoy being back outside. Chickens love fresh air/sunshine and dirt.

I also like the idea that @Onyxflock came up with by providing them some type of table fort when they go back out, at least temporarily until they become more comfortable.

I've had predator attacks, and the birds are always skittish/flighty for a while until things settle back down, so since they have been inside for a while, when it comes to transitioning back outside, having a hiding place may make it less stressful for them.
Thank you!
I may try letting Kelly out first and see how it goes.. my coop is open to my run which is completely secure and covered.. so I really think they will be fine in there.. it is 12x24 so I will just leave them in there for awhile before letting them out into the yard.
On another note.. I noticed some clumped feathers on Maryn’s back.. she is the black one with the worst wounds. Anyway, I washed her again today so as to see what was under there… she has another awful wound 😫 I feel so bad for not checking her over better! But that being said it doesn’t look bad at all! It looks as good as the other wounds which were treated with meds this whole time!😳 So thank God for that!!! And one of her wounds on her hiney is all better!!!👏🏻👏🏻 Kelly is completely healed! Rosie is 95% healed and Maryn is looking great.. but now needs the back wound tended to and still the other one on the left side of her hiney… but I don’t think it’ll be long before her wounds are all healed as well!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom