Wound Care Help Please

I swear by Vetericyn. I use it on my horses whenever they get scrapes or cuts and the wounds heal up nicely. I also used this on my chicken when she had an open sore under her throat and it helped keep out bugs and infection. Specifically I recommend using Wound and Infection Treatment in the HydroGel Spray. Its a bit more expensive than the normal Vetericyn spray but it creates a shield over the wound that keeps out dirt and bugs. It'll only come off if you scrub it off or scrape it off with your fingernails. My horse shredded through all of her hair and several layers of skin on her neck in a 8 inch long 4 inch wide cut and we kept the HyrdoGel spray on her twice a day and it healed up with no scarring.

Thanks so much Buckaroo for your input. It forced me to have to do more research.
I looked up the ingredients of Vetericyn
See list below.
In short it is Acid and Salt and found in bleach agents.
This explains why after spraying her wound 4 times today there is white crystallizing chunks showing.

Now at 1st I'm thinking this is a hoax product with such simple ingredients.
But..........Go Google salt used for wounds and you'll think differently.
Even Dentist advise to rinse your mouth in salt water after cleaning.
I see Saline solution is advised heavily for wounds(a purified water/salt solutin). This basically has that.
Salt been used on wounds forever in recorded time.

After my study below and Googleing salt for wounds, I have elected to still continue use Vetericyn during the day and will use triple antibiotic at night.
Both seem good and have different qualities.
Wound must be kept somewhat moist, and not sure Vetericyn is ideal for such a large wound to keep moist.
http://www.nyrnaturalnews.com/article/the-natural-way-to-heal-cuts-and-wounds/

What is in Vetericyn: shown on the bottle, and I Wakipidia'ed most explainations of each and found this:
Active Ingredients:
.008% Hypochlorous Acid is a weak acid with salt and common ingredient in bleach.

Inactive Ingredients 96.247 % Electrolyzed Water The electrolysis of such salt solutions produces a solution of sodium hypochlorite, which is the most common ingredient in store-bought household bleach. The resulting water is a known surfactant (soap) and sanitizer.

2.987 % Magnesium Flourosilicate. It appears is is a bonding material. Glass and concrete mixtures for hardening.

.462 % Boric Acid is a weak acid of boron used as an antiseptic, insecticide, flame retardant, neutron absorber, or precursor to other chemical compounds. Crystallizes in water. The presence of boric acid and its salts has been noted in seawater. Boric acid, have been used since the time of the Greeks for cleaning, preserving food, and other activities.

.295% Sodium Sulfate is Saline a neutral salt. The neutrality of such solutions reflects the fact that sulfate is derived, formally, from the strong acid sulfuric.

.001 % Sodium Hypochlorite is a chemical compound. Sodium hypochlorite solution, commonly known as bleach or liquid bleach, is frequently used as a disinfectant or a bleaching agent.

I am all new to this wound stuff and very open to suggestions. I'm learning so much about so many things so your input would be greatly appriciated.

Last edited:
That's quite interesting. I didn't know anything about Vetirycin, just that it was very popular.

Quote: This bit I would probably find more info on if I were going to use Vetirycin on a wound. As a sealant I can see its uses but as a substance being used on/in a living creature I think it may not be as side-effect free as one would hope. It's on the hazardous materials list and according to the website I linked to, it's highly hazardous to health.

The Flouro family is getting a lot of worrying studies published about it lately, enough to get some forms of it banned. Obviously we need natural Flourine etc, but synthetic and altered forms are where we tend to go wrong and make something dangerous, which will take us years at best to see the damaging effects of it.

I just did a quick search on Magnesium Fluorosilicate and came up with this:

Quote: Health Hazard
Highly toxic, may be fatal if inhaled, swallowed or absorbed through skin. Avoid any skin contact. Effects of contact or inhalation may be delayed. Fire may produce irritating, corrosive and/or toxic gases. Runoff from fire control or dilution water may be corrosive and/or toxic and cause pollution.
Same thing said at another site...
Quote:
Ok, it's official, I'll stick with other remedies.

Last edited:
I agree Chooks4Life, that particular ingredient threw me back a bit. Not sure why they'd add that? Seems to me it would work fine without it. Maybe to help with scabbing or what what they call plastering a wound? I looked up scabbing and general census is that scabbing not so good.
http://answerit.news24.com/Question...tter with, or without, a plaster on it?/24879
I'm not sure how I feel about Veteryin good or bad. The Magnesium Flourosilicate is a low does even though it appear to not be a safe product. I like the salt idea and keeping the bacteria at bay yet allow it to breath more than the Triple Antibiotic.
I read honey is a good thing to put on a wound such as this or a large burn. Haven't tried that yet. I'm afraid it will be too sticky.

She is still doing fine and gobbled her doggy kibble down for breakfast this morning Aug 1st.
I think she must be part cat with 9 lives. lol

I haven't seen anything bad about using it, but on the dogs/cats/horses at my clinic with minor wounds haven't seen it beneficial at all.
I've used unpasturized honey at the clinic and also my own horses bad wound that was cut down to the bone and cut tendon and it was amazing, I put it on twice a day for two weeks, and its all healed up. You can barely tell there was a wound, and I never thought I could ride her again and I'm still barrel racing her.

I just found this one a rooster of mine last night-except worse. He has no skin from his anus to his belly-all maggots. I never had anything like this before. We spent the night cleaning his wound, pulling out maggots. I did use Blue Kote on him and gave him a shot of the stronger Tylan(200mg, 1/2cc).

I wish you luck with your bird, it's good you found it early.

I'm so sorry PeakyBeaky for your rooster's condition.
I don't want to put to much hope in my chicken making it and am mentally prepared for the worse.
I just want to know I did everything possible to save her, so long as she is not suffering or quits eating.
The wound is just under her vent and about the size of a racquetball.
She is indoors where no dirt, flies, or other chickens are. This is probably going to go on for a very long time if she makes it.
She in a elevated cage, over a large box to catch droppings so when she poops it won't get on her.
She has a large stick I put through from one side to the other for her to perch on, just 2in off bottom of cage. She is on it 95% of the time. I have a heat lamp on one side to help her dry when I bath her..
With your rooster's wound being on the bottom of him, where he may rest on it, it may be more difficult to keep it clean.
This fly strike thing is new to me but I've learned a valuable lesson to keep a better eye on their bottoms when they get dirty.
Recently I found the best way to do my poop patrol is at night with a flashlight after they have roosted. They are free range so chasing after them in the yard is too difficult. I just go along their perch in the late evening and shine light right on their behinds, but may need to turn a few around but that is always easy to do when it is dark out.
Giving a hen a bath is not as bad as I thought. Relatively easy and she actually doesn't mind it at all. She just stands there and lets me gently wash her behind. I even walked out of the room once to get a towel and she just stayed content in the wash pan. Not sure how a rooster would be.

I think your hen will heal-we've had hens with larger cuts from roosters spurs-they healed with little intervention. Sounds like we've both learned alot. Keep some hope-they are tough buggers
fl.gif

I'm so sorry PeakyBeaky for your rooster's condition. 
I don't want to put to much hope in my chicken making it and am mentally prepared for the worse.
I just want to know I did everything possible to save her, so long as she is not suffering or quits eating.
The wound is just under her vent and about the size of a racquetball.
She is indoors where no dirt, flies, or other chickens are.  This is probably going to go on for a very long time if she makes it.
She in a elevated cage, over a large box to catch droppings so when she poops it won't get on her.
She has a large stick I put through from one side to the other for her to perch on, just 2in off bottom of cage. She is on it 95% of the time. I have a heat lamp on one side to help her dry when I bath her..
With your rooster's wound being on the bottom of him, where he may rest on it, it may be more difficult to keep it clean.
This fly strike thing is new to me but I've learned a valuable lesson to keep a better eye on their bottoms when they get dirty.
Recently I found the best way to do my poop patrol is at night with a flashlight after they have roosted.  They are free range so chasing after them in the yard is too difficult. I just go along their perch in the late evening and shine light right on their behinds, but may need to turn a few around but that is always easy to do when it is dark out.
Giving a hen a bath is not as bad as I thought. Relatively easy and she actually doesn't mind it at all.  She just stands there and lets me gently wash her behind.  I even walked out of the room once to get a towel and she just stayed content in the wash pan. Not sure how a rooster would be.

When I had to treat 5 of my roosters for scaly leg this past winter they were quiet and very well behaved as they stood in the sink in 4 " of warm water for 20 minutes...even while I scrubbed his legs with dawn liquid soap. One even seemed to go to sleep.

Back
Top Bottom