Wound care

peacebewithyou

In the Brooder
Aug 31, 2021
Hello,

I noticed just yesterday that my hen has a large wound on her back beneath her wings. She also has wounds on one of her feet The one on her back is large although it's not currently bleeding so unfortunately it looks to have been there for a while. Today I was able to isolate her in her own run, add vitamins to her water, move wings back and apply spray antibacterial wound care. I still have some questions as this is all new to me but want to give her best care:

(1) Should I attempt to cut feathers so I have a better view of wound to apply wound care spray? I have cut wings for birds in the past but never feather on her back. I'm concerned with cutting a vein and hurting her more. Any advice here, tutorial recommendations are greatly appreciated.

(2) Observing her today it appeared there were times she may have been pecking in the area of her wound. I couldn't tell but she was turned in that direction briefly. Should I get a "chicken saddle" or something to cover this area?

(3) Should I get a coop to isolate at night during sleep time or is it okay to add her back to the flock for this?

Out of curiosity it would be good to know why it's important to have her out of vision from the other hen's in the flock. Many things I read recommended this during isolation periods. Currently she is but I'm not sure the purpose.

Thank you in advance for your recommendations and sharing experiences. Also if someone knows if there's a vet in SF bay area, that would be good to know as well in case that's best at this point.

Here are some photos...

Welcome to BYC. Does the wound on her back look like it was cut or bitten deeply? Do you have a rooster? Is she being bullied? The leg feathers may have been pecked out, and the back might have also been feather picked by the other chickens. Isolating in a dog crate is helpful when there is blood that could attract more pecking. I would also apply some plain antibiotic ointment to the wounds twice a day after the antiseptic. BluKote spray is a bluing antiseptic spray that can hide red or bloody wounds, but it should not be used in deep injuries or cuts until they have healed some. This might be used now if it isn’t too deep, and she might be able to stay in the coop with the others. But I would check on her early in the morning, and make sure that she is not being pecked. Tonight, it might be safer to keep her separated until you get the BluKote, or until the wound heals some.

Welcome to BYC. Does the wound on her back look like it was cut or bitten deeply? Do you have a rooster? Is she being bullied? The leg feathers may have been pecked out, and the back might have also been feather picked by the other chickens. Isolating in a dog crate is helpful when there is blood that could attract more pecking. I would also apply some plain antibiotic ointment to the wounds twice a day after the antiseptic. BluKote spray is a bluing antiseptic spray that can hide red or bloody wounds, but it should not be used in deep injuries or cuts until they have healed some. This might be used now if it isn’t too deep, and she might be able to stay in the coop with the others. But I would check on her early in the morning, and make sure that she is not being pecked. Tonight, it might be safer to keep her separated until you get the BluKote, or until the wound heals some.

Thank you so much Eggcessive for your time to respond here. As shared this is all new to me so it means alot to have support of more experienced folks and find this fourm. I don't have a rooster but I'm suspecting she's being pecked on even though she's larger. My plan is to continue isolating her until these wounds heal. It sounds like isolation should include night time as well. I will also apply some pain antibiotic, I haven't done that yet. Do you recommend trying to cut feathers back more or is this worse to risk cutting a vein in that area under wings.

If you can separate her in a wire dog crate with food and water, but keep it with the other chickens, that can make reintegration much easier.

Back
Top Bottom