Wound to earlobe (?)

Nicky S

Songster
May 30, 2021
Southern CT
Just came home to find my cockerel has a wound to what I think is his earlobe. He’s got a little shred hanging down I think - nobody else is home and it’s hard to get a look, and I’m now covered in cecal poop of course 😂. I just sprayed it liberally with Vetericyn - should that do it? I’ll repeat tonight and tomorrow. He doesn’t seem bothered, but seemed to appreciated the Vetericyn being applied. Wondering whether he snagged it on something or got a hood peck from the older ladies. Attaching a pic, best I could do one-handed!

Attachments

• 16A278FF-D67A-474E-9576-EB4E125712C0.jpeg
    16A278FF-D67A-474E-9576-EB4E125712C0.jpeg
    584.7 KB · Views: 6
Just came home to find my cockerel has a wound to what I think is his earlobe. He’s got a little shred hanging down I think - nobody else is home and it’s hard to get a look, and I’m now covered in cecal poop of course 😂. I just sprayed it liberally with Vetericyn - should that do it? I’ll repeat tonight and tomorrow. He doesn’t seem bothered, but seemed to appreciated the Vetericyn being applied. Wondering whether he snagged it on something or got a hood peck from the older ladies. Attaching a pic, best I could do one-handed!
Got a better pic post treatment.

Attachments

• 78AF467B-D024-496B-9BA1-931E285839F0.jpeg
    78AF467B-D024-496B-9BA1-931E285839F0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 2
The Vetericyn is good, and some use 2% chlorhexidene spray as well. Many use antibiotic ointment once the wound spray is dry until wounds are healed. He should be fine, but I would look around for anything that he could get injured on, such as wire fencing or something sharp. He should heal fine, but have a little war wound. The hanging piece may heal fine or fall off, and you could even trim it off. I would leave it myself.

The Vetericyn is good, and some use 2% chlorhexidene spray as well. Many use antibiotic ointment once the wound spray is dry until wounds are healed. He should be fine, but I would look around for anything that he could get injured on, such as wire fencing or something sharp. He should heal fine, but have a little war wound. The hanging piece may heal fine or fall off, and you could even trim it off. I would leave it myself.
Good to know, thank you! I think I’ll leave it as is, I passed out when my son had to have stitches in his lip and they trimmed it 😂. Is there any particular antibiotic ointment I should look at? We are finishing our extended run, so there may still be sharp edges with the hwc, so this will spur us on to finish! Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom