Wound with maggots I can't get rid of **NOW WITH PICS**

She looks like my leghorns. Wow, that wound is black! Did you get thepapaya or Granulex? I would say papaya would be cheaper and organic....

i just have to say..i have read this whole post..and i am amazed at how great you are. Honestly...with a wound like that..i dont think i could of done what you have done...it takes a special person to be able to handle something like that..best wishes and your chicken is lucky to have you!...Wendy

naw redhen, it's just like all of us. We love our chickens and will do what we have to. You will too if you are so unfortunate to be in this situation. You love your chickens too, and you would do it if you had to. That's why we are all here, to get the support and knowledge to be able to help our feathered friends.
I hope I am never in this situation, but know I can count on the people here if I am. You can do it too, if you need to, or you wouldn't be here. And we will be here for you too, if needed, although I hope we never have to be.
Just you being here means you are doing your best to learn.
jumpy.gif

Believe me, I was holding my stomach down every single second, it was all I could do to not toss my lunch, but with the help of my daughter and pity for that poor hen I did what I had to do, I kept thinking "What if this was me and it was too gross for anyone to help me". She is now out of the cat carrier she was in and is happy in our Garden Bathtub. It's bigger and cooler, she stays right in there and seems quite content, although me taking pictures of her butt was a bit embarrassing, she does try to maintain her modesty you know.....
lol.png

My feed store doesn't have the Granulex so I have to go to Valpo, Erin will stop in the store today and look for Papaya, one way or the other I'll get something for that.

I was thinking Leghorn, I've never had a white hen before but I've heard leghorns are good layers, it that true?

for me its not so much to grossness(although the maggots may have done me in!)..its more i cant stand to see anything in pain..but again..thank goodness she has you!..Wendy

You may find that the black tissue softens in the saline soaks and can gradually be taken off.

The saline is the best thing. Espom salt granules on the maggots may have gotten them too.

You have been brave and wise!

Yes Elvis, Leghorns are said to be prolific egg layers. They lay white eggs, and are used for commercial egg production because they lay so well and rarely go broody.

Back
Top Bottom