Wound with maggots I can't get rid of **NOW WITH PICS**

Quote:
I am sorry but allowing the maggots to remain goes against everything i have read in the veterinary literature...the type of maggots used in hospitals and such are of a particular species farmed in such a way that they do not spread disease...
http://www.medicaledu.com/maggots.htm
Ronald A. Sherman, MD
"....While it is true that the species used to make medical grade maggots are found in the wild, so too are thousands of other species; and not all species are safe and effective. In fact, the literature suggests that not all strains of the same species are equally safe and effective. What’s more, wild maggots may carry pathogens even more harmful than the ones already on the wound. Therefore, it is prudent to use medical grade maggots that have been demonstrated to be disinfected (germ-free), safe, and effective..... "

As to screwworm... well , flystrike/myiasis needs the same treatment whether it comes from a screwworm or blofly or whatever species is eating your bird alive:
http://www.fao.org/ag/aga/agap/war/warall/u4220b/u4220b07.htm
"....Myiasis has since been defined as "the infestation of live vertebrate animals with dipterous larvae, which, at least for a certain period, feed on the host's dead or living tissue, liquid body substances, or ingested food" (Zumpt, 1965). There are two main systems for categorizing myiasis: anatomically, in relation to the location of the infestation on the host (see Table 1), and entomologically, according to the level of dependence on the host (see Table 2). ..."

The granulex V should take care of granulation issues.

Last edited:
She's about the same this morning, spunky and acting fine. I see no new maggots on her, but I'm going to wait another 3 or 4 days to be sure there are no hatchlings. When I try to "cut" the black stuff off of her she starts squawking so I can only assume it hurts and I can't keep her still so for the moment I'm leaving it. If it is in fact "dead tissue" like a scab it will fall off.

As for the stupid dog, it's been loose for 2 weeks now and NO ONE can catch it, it dodges cars and runs like the wind. It also is fat and has a collar but no one knows who it belongs to, it's ticking a lot of people off though. His day will come. I'll post how she is again tonight after her last soak/clean.

Again, thanks all!

I worked for a vet for 9 years, I have treated a lot of maggots. The blue screw worm spray does work great! Also do not under any circumstances let the maggots eat the bad flesh. They will work their way onto good flesh. Maggots excrete a poisen that will kill the animal if left untreated. That is why animals with maggots get so sick, so fast. The maggots will kill what ever their host is. Sounds like now you are on the right track. Just wanted to let you know this incase some more showed up.
Good luck.

Todays update. Still not a maggot to be seen which warms my heart. She's still strong and the wounds appear to be drying up. There is still quite a bit of black dried tissue/blood but she gets really mad when I try to remove it. I'm going to leave it for a while, if it's blood it'll come off on it's own, if it's dead tissue it'll fall off (I hope). She's still on Terramycin. I'm going to discontinue the soaks for a couple days and see how the healing goes or if I need to do anything more. I'm figuring about a week to make sure than no new eggs hatch into new maggots, is that about right?

yippiechickie.gif

GREAT job, Elvie and Elvie-ette!

Thanks Terrie (and everyone else). I'm not comfortable enough to say she's out of the woods yet but with no more creepy crawlies on her I know *I* feel a lot better and she HAS to. As long as no new ones show up/hatch in the next week I'll consider it a win. I'll try to get some fresh pics tomorrow when I have her out to clean her (and her cage) up. She enjoys the after bath treatments the most, all wrapped up in a warm dry towel, being held close and being fed corn, she just eats her treat and takes a short snooze and goes back into a clean dry cage. I didn't have a lot f hope when this started, I figured she was too far gone with all the bugs, but now she's a special little girl. I just wish I knew the breed, I'll try to get some "regular pics" of her and see if I can narrow it down. I was told she's a meat bird but I don't think she's a Jumbo Cornish Cross, what else could she be, she's just plain white but too thin framed to be a Leghorn I think.

That's so great to hear that she's still doing okay.

If she enjoys the soaks, they will help her heal faster and keep the wound clean. Once a day or even every other day would be good. If there is dead tissue, it is important to get it off or it will be a source of infection.

Good luck and keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom