Wound with maggots I can't get rid of **NOW WITH PICS**

Couple days later, sorry I haven't checked in... she's healing nicely, but now there is a new concern. She seems very unsteady walking, I'm thinking this is because she has so few tail feathers and I know they use their tails to keep their balance, but she's putting her wings out slightly when she walks. She's still eating and drinking well and no new maggots have hatched or shown their ugly selves... I'm trying to get ready for a graduation tomorrow and a wedding on June 21st and I'm cleaning myself into oblivion, plus Steve has FINALLY gone back to work so I'm making the most of the time I HAVE to clean while he's gone, so I'm only able to give her a good going over a couple times a day.

Am I thinking correctly about the imbalance she's showing?

If she's eating and drinking, I think you have a pretty good chance of saving her. It's always a toss up with birds. I had one I was sure I would lose and she's still with me. Good luck on your busy life. And thanks for the update!

They DO have a way of surprising us, I swear they drag it on after they're better just for the special attention and goodies.

And people say chickens are dumb... HA!

Maggots are actually a good thing, they eat away dead skin and allow for new skin to grow. An easy removal of them is to pour small amount of gasoline. But be aware, there may be more than you expected running out of the wound.

Quote:
Are you for real??? Gasoline on an OPEN wound??

I think that would be very painful and a very bad idea - if you read back through the entire thread, there are some very good suggestions made concerning the best way to safely and humanely remove maggots, as well as several posts concerning the myth that maggots in a wound are a good thing.

Glad to hear the wound is healing nicely - and hope she gets steady on her feet again really soon!

Last edited:
Quote:
Are you for real??? Gasoline on an OPEN wound??

I think that would be very painful and a very bad idea - if you read back through the entire thread, there are some very good suggestions made concerning the best way to safely and humanely remove maggots, as well as several posts concerning the myth that maggots in a wound are a good thing.

Glad to hear the wound is healing nicely - and hope she gets steady on her feet again really soon!

small droplet of gasoline will bring it out. Not very painful. That is what we use and it is very effective and hasn't harmed our animals nor made them show signs of pain.
It was just another idea that I know works.
I did not intend to give "bad advice".

* How's she doing?? AH! O.k.- just caught up on the thread. Scratch the question. . .
tongue.png

Last edited:
OK, new pics. I finally got all that black tissue and dried blood off of her. The skin under is a healthy pink, one part is redder than I like but it was the worst part of the wound. She still looks a bit swollen to me but I've never seen a naked chickens butt so I may be off. The leg still needs a few more baths but she's strong as heck and getting MAD as a wet hen when it comes to bathing her. She's also still quite unsteady and I'm wondering of it's not from some lingering pain in her right leg and she's favoring the left one... I'm leaning more and more toward her being a Cornish Cross
sad.png

And for fun (and to show off) some pics of Erin before graduation with my mom and after the ceremony with her diploma. That was a night of he** in itself with horrendous storms.

Back
Top Bottom