Wounded Chicken

Pics
I put Elsa back in the run this morning and placed Bluey (the bully) in the isolation pen.

Aside from a bit of the usual pecking order stuff - so far so good !

Attachments

• 20220924_075305.jpg
    20220924_075305.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 3
I reintroduced Bluey (the bully) a few days to the flock after a few days of giving Elsa a chance to settle in.

All in all it's going pretty well however I have noticed that the nasty behavior is still very much evident although Elsa has gotten good at dispersing when Bluey goes to engage.

The only other chicken that is bothering Elsa at all is Bingo who is the lowest ranking hen and has always been the one running away from conflict - is this her trying to establish herself above Elsa in the pecking order following her absence?

Roosting time is really peaceful and it's great to see Elsa back where she belongs.

I still think I need to take action with Bluey as at least 3 chickens actively avoid her while they are content standing next to the boss hen - Chickaletta.

My reason for posting was that I go away on holiday in a few days and I still have the framework for the isolation pen up and just have the door widely open. I'm contemplating whether it's a good idea to get the person looking after the girls for me to shepherd Bluey in every morning and release every night to relieve my anxiety about something happening whilst I'm away.

🐔I'd love to get peoples thoughts on this.

I reintroduced Bluey (the bully) a few days to the flock after a few days of giving Elsa a chance to settle in.

All in all it's going pretty well however I have noticed that the nasty behavior is still very much evident although Elsa has gotten good at dispersing when Bluey goes to engage.

The only other chicken that is bothering Elsa at all is Bingo who is the lowest ranking hen and has always been the one running away from conflict - is this her trying to establish herself above Elsa in the pecking order following her absence?

Roosting time is really peaceful and it's great to see Elsa back where she belongs.

I still think I need to take action with Bluey as at least 3 chickens actively avoid her while they are content standing next to the boss hen - Chickaletta.

My reason for posting was that I go away on holiday in a few days and I still have the framework for the isolation pen up and just have the door widely open. I'm contemplating whether it's a good idea to get the person looking after the girls for me to shepherd Bluey in every morning and release every night to relieve my anxiety about something happening whilst I'm away.

🐔I'd love to get peoples thoughts on this.
If Elsa is effectively deflecting Bluey, then I'd leave them to work it out.

Yes, Bingo is now trying to gain a rank above Elsa. Not uncommon at all.
You'll see this in adult flocks when you introduce newbies or chicks, the lowest adult is going to bully chicks to try to keep a status above them. It's just pecking order business, chickens aren't nice. If there's no blood being drawn. I'd leave them to work that out too.

The boss hen is allowing Bluey to act that way. Bluey is basically the enforcer or bouncer, or that's the way I see it in my flock. Flock Mistress (Head Hen) does not always do the reprimanding, her second or third in charge does this for her. Bluey is just making sure the others remember their place while standing with the Head Hen.

Now. This doesn't mean that Bluey is not looking for a sign of weakness, a flaw, glitch, etc. to gain rank over Chickaletta, she'll wait and watch for her opportunity if it arises.

If no blood is being drawn, nobody is getting hurt or pinned down. Let them work it out.

That's my 2¢

If Elsa is effectively deflecting Bluey, then I'd leave them to work it out.

Yes, Bingo is now trying to gain a rank above Elsa. Not uncommon at all.
You'll see this in adult flocks when you introduce newbies or chicks, the lowest adult is going to bully chicks to try to keep a status above them. It's just pecking order business, chickens aren't nice. If there's no blood being drawn. I'd leave them to work that out too.

The boss hen is allowing Bluey to act that way. Bluey is basically the enforcer or bouncer, or that's the way I see it in my flock. Flock Mistress (Head Hen) does not always do the reprimanding, her second or third in charge does this for her. Bluey is just making sure the others remember their place while standing with the Head Hen.

Now. This doesn't mean that Bluey is not looking for a sign of weakness, a flaw, glitch, etc. to gain rank over Chickaletta, she'll wait and watch for her opportunity if it arises.

If no blood is being drawn, nobody is getting hurt or pinned down. Let them work it out.

That's my 2
Thank you so much for such a detailed response, it really is so valuable to me to get opinions from people like yourselves.

I'm going to print and frame that expression 'chickens aren't nice' haha. I love it and it's 100% worth remembering when we all try to anthropomorphize them.

The only instance of being pinned down that occurred was when the two initially met again after the separation and it was very brief.

I just wanted to post a comment to thank everyone who helped me with their input from the day I posted Elsa's injury on here.

It really filled me with confidence to treat my first hen injury and was very reassuring at a time when I didn't expect her to survive.

This site and it's users are an amazing community who put a lot of time and effort into it's content so again;

Thank You!

Back
Top Bottom