Wounded head on male Coturnix

Maiahr

Crowing
Jul 21, 2019
Bulgaria, a country in Eastern Europe
My Coop
My Coop
So this guy has been attacked by another male. The vet said he will never grow feathers again, but he gave me a green spray to help recover faster + he said the green spray smells and the other male will stop picking on him. Do you guys do anything about these bald heads? Is there really no way to grow feathers again?

IMG_20190907_154554.jpg

Apparently the vet doesn't know much about quail. This type of injury is common with Japanese coturnix quail and their feathers will come back slowly over time AND when they molt and regrow a full set of feathers. Sounds like he sold you a can of feather-pecking inhibitor (peck no more, and the like), which is all fine and good but didn't address the underlying issue. This type of quail can, and will fight to the death if need be, for the right to mate. It's exceptionally rare to have more than one male in a covey AND have them get along over the long haul. Eventually, someone get scalped. Having multiple males in anything less than palatial quarters with several hiding spots is a recipe for disaster. One cock needs at minimum, three hens. I run 8 hens per cock and have 66% fertility (and rising). But anyway... back to your question about feathers regrowing... sure they will... you can speed it along a bit by offering some cooked rice with peas. Offer this in "treat" rations, as it will significantly reduce their overall protein intake but will greatly increase the amino acids necessary to regrow his missing plumage rapidly; specifically methionine & lysine.

Apparently the vet doesn't know much about quail. This type of injury is common with Japanese coturnix quail and their feathers will come back slowly over time AND when they molt and regrow a full set of feathers. Sounds like he sold you a can of feather-pecking inhibitor (peck no more, and the like), which is all fine and good but didn't address the underlying issue. This type of quail can, and will fight to the death if need be, for the right to mate. It's exceptionally rare to have more than one male in a covey AND have them get along over the long haul. Eventually, someone get scalped. Having multiple males in anything less than palatial quarters with several hiding spots is a recipe for disaster. One cock needs at minimum, three hens. I run 8 hens per cock and have 66% fertility (and rising). But anyway... back to your question about feathers regrowing... sure they will... you can speed it along a bit by offering some cooked rice with peas. Offer this in "treat" rations, as it will significantly reduce their overall protein intake but will greatly increase the amino acids necessary to regrow his missing plumage rapidly; specifically methionine & lysine.

:goodpost:

She said it all:bow

Back
Top Bottom