Wow, getting small eggs then.....a LARGE egg!!!

chickenlickin8

Songster
11 Years
Jun 26, 2008
Valrico, Florida
My Coop
My Coop
Mygirls out did themselves today...The egg on the left is from one of my girls and I placed it next to a a normal size egg. They have laying small eggs the last couple of weeks and suddenly, a large one! I thought it was a gradual change in size. Do young laying hens normally lay eggs this big after beginning to lay? Will they stay large now?

12435_img_2880.jpg

Mine just reached 5 1/2 months. This is the first week they are laying. I found my first egg 7 days ago. On day three i found two eggs a little bigger then the one your holding. Both of them were double yolkers. so do answer your question of "do they lay this big of eggs this early?" well both mine and yours did so i would say the answer is YES.

In the 3 weeks that my chickens have been laying, we have had about 4 or 5 eggs that were significantly larger than all the others. They are almost like "JUMBO" eggs. All of mine have been "double yolkers". I think that this is very normal.

Have had young ones lay tiny yolkless eggs (we call those low-cal eggs) then switch to laying normal size eggs (large/x-large). However, some started out laying normal size and then moved up to jumbo sized eggs. Most of them seem to settle into a regular routine laying the same size all the time but some vary their routine and we end up with superjumbo single yolked ones once in a while. Only an occasional double yolked egg.

I find that my old hen lays a larger egg if she misses laying the previous day. She did not lay yesterday but laid a 3oz egg today. She still lays about 4-5 eggs per week at nearly 3 years.

Thanks for your responses.....Today I got 2 eggs both medium size. I was hoping for that all impressive LARGE again again...or even better...my first double yolker
big_smile.png
3 out of 8 of my hens are laying nowand the size of the eggs are growing. I have heard that Amerucanas and Buffs lay large to x-large eggs all the time??

Depends on the hen really. I mean generally...Yes they tend to lay larger eggs. But that does not apply to all of them.

My SLW and Australorps gave me about 5 double yolkers last year.

This year, no double yolks from them or my teenagers.

The year before, when I had RIR seniors, they never produced double yolkers.

Never know what those ladies will be up to.

I think you probably had one miss a day and this egg "made up for it".

Back
Top Bottom