Wow! Look at this egg....

itsy

Songster
8 Years
Mar 14, 2011
New England
I was looking around on etsy and I found this egg .....
ep.gif

I know some of you guys are egg crafters, but even if you weren't you could appreciate it!

that is called etching. What you do is you apply bees wax to the egg with a kiska, just like you do when you do pysanky eggs. Those are the ukranian easter eggs you see. Then you take either vinegar, which takes a long time to get to this point or a toilet bowl cleaner called "the works" This takes very little time and you really have to be careful not to do it in a stainless steel sink, or anywhere else the toilet bowl cleaner can ruin. Anyway what I do is I take a tooth brush and I dip that in the cleaner and brush it on the egg. It won't take the wax off but it will etch the egg. then when you have it etched to where you want it like the white parts on the egg you would cover those in the wax, then start with the cleaner again and do it till it etches right through the egg. But make sure you wash off the cleaner before you put more wax because it will not stop working. So you need to neturalize it with water and baking soda.

LOL it is! But once you learn how to put the wax on the egg it's fun. It just takes practice and lots of practice to learn that wax. I've been working on it for months now and I still am making mistakes.

What a beautiful piece of art! Thank you so much for sharing that.

I am crafty but not THAT artistic. Surely it must take a rock-steady hand to create such an artpiece, a steadiness that I myself do not possess. I am in awe of those that do, however. Really gorgeous work.

Back
Top Bottom