Wow. These suckers are growing fast......um, not sure what to do.

matt1898

Chirping
6 Years
Jan 24, 2013
Broadway, NC
Ok, my 15 from MPC are just now past the 2 week old mark. They grow freakishly fast. They have all added weight and feathers are coming in quite nicely. My only concern right now is the fact that at some point they can fly out of the brooder when we take the lid off. The brooder is a large cow watering bin. Not sure of the gallon size, but it is really deep and about 5 foot long. At the rate these guys are growing, they can already launch themselves across the bottom of the brooder, just can't quite aim upwards...........yet. We are in the process of building the coop, which should be finished by sat, but I'm just not sure how quickly we should move them into it if they get to the point when they can escape the current brooder whenever I refill the feeders. They are accustomed to my hand and no longer fear it(feed them treats), but I worry what would happen if one were to escape into the shop area(where the brooder is located) and how much of a headache it would be to chase it down. I'm really happy that they are so healthy, but, not sure of what the next step is in their housing. Thoughts?

I also brood in big galvanized steel tubs. I have two different pieces of expanded metal I put on top, this way one can stay in place and keep most of the top covered when I have to refill feed or water. I just make the opening as small as I can to slip the feeder or waterer out, sometimes it's a two person job!

I also brood in big galvanized steel tubs. I have two different pieces of expanded metal I put on top, this way one can stay in place and keep most of the top covered when I have to refill feed or water. I just make the opening as small as I can to slip the feeder or waterer out, sometimes it's a two person job!
Hmm, good to know .When we built the top to the brooder, it is basically a big square of chicken wire with black plastic(For insulation) and held together with 2x4's. So, one person can lift it, but then the entire brooder is exposed and if they get brave they can attempt to fly out.

They would be ready to move to the coop as soon as they are fully feathered, which is at around 6 weeks. In the meantime you should let them get used to the cooler temperatures (which will also help them feather out faster). Lower the temperature in the brooder weekly and by the time they are 5-6 weeks old remove it, so when they go out it won't be a big change from warm to cold.

maybe put cardboard over most the top? 4 more weeks and they can go outside in their coop, at this age and weather they cant go out quite yet. :)

We were having the same problem. One day they were puffs and then I looked over and saw one sitting on the edge of the container ( 2 feet high)/ We converted a dog crate for the time being and covered it with screening we had lying around. They seem to enjoy horizontal flights for the time being.
We added a dowel to see if they were interested in roosting. Only two like to go on it and it looks more like a game of King of the Mountain than anything else

Back
Top Bottom