WOW! Who said golden phoenix are not good layers

Quote:
Yes, I am really proud of her.

Her sister from the same hatch still has not started laying though she is larger. Her sisters comb is not as large and is still not really even pink. I wonder why the difference.

I have 5 hens of laying age and 2 are steady layers (about 6 aweek) and the other three are pretty new and haven't layed in the month I,ve had them. I know at least one was laying before I brought her home . Also Ive had mine for a couple Years now and they winter really well. they have just a wood coop and a run and if it gets below 20 I turn on a heat lamp for them. My Layers layed all winter sometimes I have little frozen eggs if I did't get there quick enough. It was extreme this winter.

Last edited:
They are great mothers too, mine just hatched out 3/5 Naked Neck X RIR eggs, the other two are suppose to hatch out on friday! Mine lays about 10-15 eggs, and then she wants to set! Very friendly too! I want to order some more in the spring!
51083_100_0886.jpg

51083_100_0887.jpg

i have 2 silver hens and they are very calm and friendly
i get an egg every day from them ,,rare a day or two i find nothing
they are very broody even if its just one egg they will both be on it
i always have to stick my hand under to get the egg

mine did fine in the winter at 28 degrees and got snow..
i have an uninsulated coop but the top of the coop is sealed so all the heat they produce
stays trapped up with them..
and only one small door for them to come out so it was good

PTDC0010-1.jpg

PTDC0032.jpg

PTDC0048-1.jpg

I got around 20 breeds this past year to try a bunch out, and oh my gosh, I'm in love with the golden phoenix. I have 2 gorgeous males, and 4-5 hens. The hens lay a lot of eggs in the winter while not many of my other chickens are laying. They are also some of the youngest hens I have, so I was surprised seeing them sitting in the nest boxes so soon! For anyone that hasn't seen a golden phoenix male in person, you're missing out on a beauty. I could just stare at them for hours. I used to think welsummers and BLRW were pretty - ha! (well, of course they are too - I love all chickens)

Oh, and I forgot to mention I really like their personalities too. I thought they'd be hard to handle, but the males just let me pick them up off the roost at night without flapping wildly at me like some roosters do. The hens fly up in the trees in the daytime, but still sleep in their chicken coop at night (good girls).

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom