Wrinkled egg-is this a problem?

Yep, daily or weekly.
Can be caused by respiratory infection.
Could just be a shell gland glitch or stress.
How old is bird?
Pics of eggs in question always helps.

Today for the first time in our 2 years of raising chickens, we got a slightly wrinkled egg. Is this a problem? Should I be worried about this?
Hi there, hope you are enjoying BYC! :frow

Are you able to post a photo so we can see what you are describing as slightly wrinkled?

Check out this article as it's pretty good. Just try not to jump to disease conclusion and pay attention to all the signs you're seeing to help discern cause. You say 2 years old.. what breed, what feed?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Hope all is well! :fl

We have already ate that egg... We have 1 2-yr old Cucko Maran 1 2-yr old grey one and 3 2-yr old australorp. We also have 10 hylines that are just a little younger then a year. We are feeding them 20% protein layer pellets

One of my Australorps frequently lays eggs with this funny extra build up on the end of the egg. The eggs are fine, they just look weird. Does yours look like this?

Attachments

• BE5C126B-8239-44B9-8AC6-C8725C6E8D3C.jpeg
    BE5C126B-8239-44B9-8AC6-C8725C6E8D3C.jpeg
    76.9 KB · Views: 11
My Sapphire Gems lay occasional wrinkled eggs, maybe once every month or two. But they are highly productive egg machines, so I don't worry about the occasional glitchy ones. The best, most efficient manufacturers still have spoiled items on the assembly line sometimes.

I’ve always had one wrinkled egg layer in each flock. The eggs were super wrinkled. In my experience they were fine, it was no tract issue or issue at all. The hens that laid the wrinkled eggs that was what they laid. They did not lay a smooth normal egg then every once in a while jay a wrinkly egg, they always laid a wrinkly egg. They always looked for the most part the save to in the way the crease of the wrinkled were. It was a super strong shell as well. You know I have some hens that lay light think shelled eggs, some that lay speckled eggs, some that lay huge eggs and some that lay wrinkly eggs. Also some no matter what you do have thin shells and I believe the wrinkly ones maybe have more calcium in their diets where as the thin eggs are lacking something in their diet for production. Or they are not processing something correctly, like for ex. Have a calcium deficiency or something to that extent. If the egg looks fine, smells fine and just looks different the egg is a keeper round here. 😉

Ok thanks! We haven’t had another problem yet, and we are still getting jumbo sized eggs! Yea, I also get several different kinds of eggs, so good to know!

Back
Top Bottom