Wrinkled Egg

KendallMetz

In the Brooder
May 3, 2017
I know this wrinkle isn’t as bad as others. However, would the wrinkles in this one be a sign of stress/ overcrowding or because the egg is so long?(one of my hens seems to always lay an egg this irregular in length)

Attachments

• AA02F05E-DEA4-4D83-B238-FE45906A0DC0.jpeg
    AA02F05E-DEA4-4D83-B238-FE45906A0DC0.jpeg
    485.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 5A54045C-3A49-47CD-B9B5-3E6EFEAF5A79.jpeg
    5A54045C-3A49-47CD-B9B5-3E6EFEAF5A79.jpeg
    751.4 KB · Views: 19
One of my hens lay long-ish eggs, what breed is yours?
We have a mix of brown layers. Orpington, barred rock, Wyandotte and Australorp. I believe it’s one of the australorps though since I see them in the same box as where the egg usually is.

I know this wrinkle isn’t as bad as others. However, would the wrinkles in this one be a sign of stress/ overcrowding or because the egg is so long?(one of my hens seems to always lay an egg this irregular in length)

My hatchery wyandotte laid eggs exactly like that. Same color and wrinkled just like that. And every single egg when cracked in the skillet spread out to fill the pan. Thin watery whites. Never laid a normal egg. None of the others had that issue. In her second year of laying she got sick and I suspect it was a laying issue. I had to dispatch her for her own sake. Hope yours doesn't have the same issue.

Could be stress....or nutrition, or shell gland glitch.
Does she always lay long eggs?

My hatchery wyandotte laid eggs exactly like that. Same color and wrinkled just like that. And every single egg when cracked in the skillet spread out to fill the pan. Thin watery whites. Never laid a normal egg. None of the others had that issue. In her second year of laying she got sick and I suspect it was a laying issue. I had to dispatch her for her own sake. Hope yours doesn't have the same issue.
I hope it won’t end like that too. I also have hatchet Wyandottes. Where did you get yours?

I hope it won’t end like that too. I also have hatchet Wyandottes. Where did you get yours?

Local feed store. No idea where they get theirs. But she laid as good as my sexlinks which if I recall was way more than expected. My sexlinks burned out about the same time.

Egg shape (the longish issue) is mostly a hereditary trait. The wrinkles can be caused by rough treatment or if the "hen's ovary releases two yolks within a few hours of each other, causing them to move through the oviduct close together" according to Gail Damerow's "Chicken Encyclopedia". Wrinkled eggs should not be an everyday thing I don't think. The long shape is not a problem I wouldn't think. :D

Back
Top Bottom