Wrinkled Egg

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by KendallMetz, Apr 1, 2018.

1. KendallMetz

KendallMetz In the Brooder

May 3, 2017
    I know this wrinkle isn’t as bad as others. However, would the wrinkles in this one be a sign of stress/ overcrowding or because the egg is so long?(one of my hens seems to always lay an egg this irregular in length)

Attached Files:

2. Newfarmer36

Newfarmer36 Songster

Dec 31, 2017
    West Monroe, Louisiana
    Following

3. ashlandco

ashlandco Songster

Mar 31, 2017
    One of my hens lay long-ish eggs, what breed is yours?

4. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    We have a mix of brown layers. Orpington, barred rock, Wyandotte and Australorp. I believe it’s one of the australorps though since I see them in the same box as where the egg usually is.

5. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    My hatchery wyandotte laid eggs exactly like that. Same color and wrinkled just like that. And every single egg when cracked in the skillet spread out to fill the pan. Thin watery whites. Never laid a normal egg. None of the others had that issue. In her second year of laying she got sick and I suspect it was a laying issue. I had to dispatch her for her own sake. Hope yours doesn't have the same issue.

KendallMetz likes this.
  6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler!

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Could be stress....or nutrition, or shell gland glitch.
    Does she always lay long eggs?

7. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    Yes, I get a super long egg every other day. And I assume it’s from the same bird

8. KendallMetz

May 3, 2017
    I hope it won’t end like that too. I also have hatchet Wyandottes. Where did you get yours?

9. Hensndoes

Hensndoes Songster

Jun 18, 2017
    Local feed store. No idea where they get theirs. But she laid as good as my sexlinks which if I recall was way more than expected. My sexlinks burned out about the same time.

10. Peppercorngal

Peppercorngal Songster

Feb 5, 2018
    Feather Falls, CA
    Egg shape (the longish issue) is mostly a hereditary trait. The wrinkles can be caused by rough treatment or if the "hen's ovary releases two yolks within a few hours of each other, causing them to move through the oviduct close together" according to Gail Damerow's "Chicken Encyclopedia". Wrinkled eggs should not be an everyday thing I don't think. The long shape is not a problem I wouldn't think. :D

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: