Wrinkled eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Tima, Aug 20, 2016.

1. Tima

Tima New Egg

Aug 20, 2016
    Hi there everyone I have 7 chickens and 1 rooster. Every other day I get a wrinkled/deformed eggs I give them Purina Layena and I wondered if anyone can give me some pointers :) thanks [​IMG]

2. donrae

donrae Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Jun 18, 2010
    Southern Oregon
    [​IMG]

How long has this been going on?

I get these from time to time, I think it's my older layers as a rule. It's just a glitch in the production system.

If it's an ongoing thing, I'm not sure there's much you can do for it. You may have a hen who had an internal issue. I don't see that it's really going to cause any problems, they're just funky looking. Might not be good for hatching, if you're inclined to do that.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Agrees with donrae.
    I also have seen them both on occasion and a couple birds laid them regularly over one winter.
    Shells were very thick, so yeah - not good for hatching, but perfectly edible.
    I think shell gland glitch, as for the cause really hard to say, could be a disease/infection that has no other symptoms, but not much you can do in that case....just make sure they have good balanced nutrition and a healthy, stress free environment..

4. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by