Wrinkled eggs

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kflowers, Feb 12, 2007.

1. kflowers

kflowers New Egg

Feb 9, 2007
    Does anyone know why chickens will occasionally lay a wrinkled egg? This is for a science fair project for my students so any information you have will be appreciated.

2. SandraChick

SandraChick Chillin' With My Peeps

no clue...my sister has a particular chicken that's recently begun to do that....

As a GUESS...the egg isn't "sliding" through the reproductive system as smoothly as it should as the eggshell is hardening. I have NO scientific evidence to back me up though.

Sandra

3. shareenwtiger

shareenwtiger New Egg

Feb 13, 2007
    It's usually the chickens first egg. Other than that, it's most likely just like Sandra said or like in most cases, malnutrition.
    -

4. pegbo

pegbo Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 8, 2007
    Hi, some times my big girls[shaver reds] will have a wrinkled egg. I usually up their oyster shells when it happens and that seems to help.

5. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
    I believe some dieases cause wrinkled eggs(dont freak, you dont have any im sure) ILT causes strange looking wrinkles on the shell. Also when my birds first start to lay they are wrinkled too.

6. CMV

CMV Flock Mistress

Apr 15, 2009
  7. RedRoosterFarm

RedRoosterFarm **LOVE MY SERAMAS**

Mar 25, 2010
    Eatonville, Washington
  8. JerseyGiantfolk

JerseyGiantfolk Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2012
    Your chicken could have a respiratory disease, signs are wrinkly eggs, purple on the comb, heavy breathing and sometimes staying away from the flock. [​IMG]

9. dawg53

dawg53 Humble

Nov 27, 2008
    Jacksonville, Florida
    A good way to tell if it's Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV,) is to crack a wrinkled egg open and see if the whites are watery, a sure sign of IBV. Of course there may be other respiratory symptoms.

10. ClareScifi

ClareScifi Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Oh, dear. I cracked the wrinkled egg my pullet laid this morning, and while some of the white was normal, I'd say half of the yolk WAS watery. The pullet is taking a dustbath at present and seems okay, but if it is IBV, are there any other symptoms.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by