Wrinkled eggs

kflowers

Hatching
12 Years
Feb 9, 2007
Does anyone know why chickens will occasionally lay a wrinkled egg? This is for a science fair project for my students so any information you have will be appreciated.

no clue...my sister has a particular chicken that's recently begun to do that....

As a GUESS...the egg isn't "sliding" through the reproductive system as smoothly as it should as the eggshell is hardening. I have NO scientific evidence to back me up though.

Sandra

It's usually the chickens first egg. Other than that, it's most likely just like Sandra said or like in most cases, malnutrition.
-

Hi, some times my big girls[shaver reds] will have a wrinkled egg. I usually up their oyster shells when it happens and that seems to help.

I believe some dieases cause wrinkled eggs(dont freak, you dont have any im sure) ILT causes strange looking wrinkles on the shell. Also when my birds first start to lay they are wrinkled too.
Does anyone know why chickens will occasionally lay a wrinkled egg? This is for a science fair project for my students so any information you have will be appreciated.

Your chicken could have a respiratory disease, signs are wrinkly eggs, purple on the comb, heavy breathing and sometimes staying away from the flock.
sad.png

A good way to tell if it's Infectious Bronchitis Virus (IBV,) is to crack a wrinkled egg open and see if the whites are watery, a sure sign of IBV. Of course there may be other respiratory symptoms.

Oh, dear. I cracked the wrinkled egg my pullet laid this morning, and while some of the white was normal, I'd say half of the yolk WAS watery. The pullet is taking a dustbath at present and seems okay, but if it is IBV, are there any other symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom