Wrong feed for chicks!

epona4

Songster
11 Years
Oct 14, 2008
Central Indiana
Just discovered this the other day. My husband bought the chicks food when they were about 2 weeks old (we'd been given enough to get them through that time) He bought grower finisher and not starter grower

They seem to be doing ok, but now I'm worried about their development. They are 7 weeks now and growing like weeds. Should I change them back over to the starter food? Or are they old enough to be on the grower now?

Thanks.

Starter may have amprolium (not enough though) to help with cocci. You can buy Amprolium (Corid) and the feed store and give it to your chicks at 1 tsp per 1 gal water for five days. When you are in doubt about feed, read the tags on the feedsack. It will tell you what the make-up of the feed is.

I would feed it to them and buy starter grower next time. I don't think its gowing to hurt development as long as they are getting plenty to eat.

I fed mine medicated starter grower all the way thru 15 weeks or whatever the bag said.

Quote:
Did you add anything else to their feed? Or strict starter through 15 weeks? And if you did add things, at what age?

My husband keeps wanting to add greens and such and I won't let him.

Quote:
I just bought a bag of Purina Start & Grow yesterday. It says to feed this until 18-20 weeks. Would you like me to post the analysis here so you can compare it to the bag of what you have?

Quote:
At 7 weeks they're old enough for little treats. Make sure they have some grit available if they're not out in the yard and able to find their own.

Quote:
I just bought a bag of Purina Start & Grow yesterday. It says to feed this until 18-20 weeks. Would you like me to post the analysis here so you can compare it to the bag of what you have?

Not really. I couldnt remember if it was 15 or 18wks to stay on starter
I just gave my opinion based on what I would do.

I gave mine vegetables, grass etc at 7wks. They loved it when I mowed the yard and raked a pile of mowed grass into the run. I picked ears of corn from the field and tossed in the run.

All my birds are 8mnts or so now, I am feeding straight cracked corn from our harvest. Plus whatever else I have, pasta, tomatoes, lettuce, apples...etc

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom