Wry Neck 9 week old chick

Sneaka

In the Brooder
Apr 24, 2022
My sweet Addie has had Wry Neck since last Wed. She can eat, drink, and does much better when she’s outside in the yard during the day (a spasm with neck tucked under her & walking backwards every 20 min or so) but has awful spasms at night. It’s relentless and I feel so bad for her! I’m doing Vitamin E, selenium, egg yolks. Any input greatly appreciated!

My sweet Addie has had Wry Neck since last Wed. She can eat, drink, and does much better when she’s outside in the yard during the day (a spasm with neck tucked under her & walking backwards every 20 min or so) but has awful spasms at night. It’s relentless and I feel so bad for her! I’m doing Vitamin E, selenium, egg yolks. Any input greatly appreciated

You don't mention how much E and Selenium you are giving.

I would give her 400IU Vitamin E along with 1/4 tablet B-Complex. Egg has plenty of Selenium for the uptake of E, so take care that you are not overdoing it.
See that she's eating her chick starter very well and staying hydrated.

Wry Neck is a symptom of an underlying condition like Marek's disease, head or neck trauma and sometimes vitamin/nutrition deficiency. Hopefully with vitamin therapy she will recover quickly.

Good Luck!

Thank you! I’m giving 400 iu of vitamin e. She’s so bad at night, it’s really worrying me. I don’t see any signs of Marek’s disease so far.

Thank you! I’m giving 400 iu of vitamin e. She’s so bad at night, it’s really worrying me. I don’t see any signs of Marek’s disease so far.
You're not the first to report that the symptoms are worse at night.
I don't have an answer for that. Perhaps a chick(en) is just more tired at night(?).

I'd keep up the vitamins and see how it goes, work on her eating well and staying hydrated.

Hopefully she will improve. Please keep me posted.

My sweet Addie has had Wry Neck since last Wed. She can eat, drink, and does much better when she’s outside in the yard during the day (a spasm with neck tucked under her & walking backwards every 20 min or so) but has awful spasms at night. It’s relentless and I feel so bad for her! I’m doing Vitamin E, selenium, egg yolks. Any input greatly appreciated!
Try molasses in the water, alfalfa sprouts or meal and let her graze on grass. I gave mine grass clippings since I am organic, I had no worries about the grass. Mine had barely started showing signs, so by day 4 they were fine.

I don't have an answer for that. Perhaps a chick(en) is just more tired at night(?).

I'd keep up the vitamins and see how it goes, work on her eating well and staying hydrated.

Hi,
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. It turns out that she most likely had Crazy Chick Disease. She is a normal, healthy girl now! I continued giving her Vitamin E and Selenium and added Vitamin B complex. As soon as I added the Vitamin B, she started getting better. It took about 2 more weeks for her to fully recover and I was afraid she would have some brain damage but I’m telling you, she is the sweetest and smartest one of the bunch! Thanks for helping and being concerned about my Addie!

Hi,
Sorry it’s taken me so long to reply. It turns out that she most likely had Crazy Chick Disease. She is a normal, healthy girl now! I continued giving her Vitamin E and Selenium and added Vitamin B complex. As soon as I added the Vitamin B, she started getting better. It took about 2 more weeks for her to fully recover and I was afraid she would have some brain damage but I’m telling you, she is the sweetest and smartest one of the bunch! Thanks for helping and being concerned about my Addie!
Where did you get the vitamin B complex or what brand and amount? I have a similar thing going on.

Back
Top Bottom