Wry Neck? Coccidiosis? Mareks… I’m at a loss, HELP!

jhorlamus

In the Brooder
May 10, 2021
I need help…

I have an 18 wk old White Crested Black Polish pullet that has come down with what I believe is Wry Neck but I’m starting to question myself.
She is the only one who is showing any signs of illness so I separated her from the flock. I noticed one day that she was walking with a crook in her neck and moving rather slow and stumbley. She eats and drinks just fine but she is off balance, has a staggering/wobbly walk, a crook in her neck, and one of her eyes has yellowish mucus around it (very little but present). She doesn’t want to walk much and lays down mostly. I also notice her feet are being sat on awkwardly and almost look clenched in front of her. She has one side of her body that she struggles with more almost like what you’d see in a human who had a stroke that effected one side of their body. As I said before, she eats and drinks just fines and her feces is normal (no worms/ no discolor/ etc) and she does not have lice or mites.
I have been treating her with Vit B Complex, Vit. E and Selenium she also has Poultry Booster in her water. I am just at a loss. I’m hoping someone here may have some insight! I have been treating her for a week now. I’ve seen a little improvement but not much. I will attach pictures for better assessment! Any advice is greatly appreciated!

I do have videos of her walking as well if someone would like to see them!

Attachments

• 3FD907E7-B849-4190-BB10-2D6FD1048F08.jpeg
    3FD907E7-B849-4190-BB10-2D6FD1048F08.jpeg
    278.3 KB · Views: 83
  • B526C67C-19CB-40C3-A045-7F406447F14A.jpeg
    B526C67C-19CB-40C3-A045-7F406447F14A.jpeg
    423 KB · Views: 14
  • D419584A-962D-4F26-932B-5002DB776901.jpeg
    D419584A-962D-4F26-932B-5002DB776901.jpeg
    408.7 KB · Views: 14
  • 5EF7E78F-82FE-408F-9DE4-6979FDF6EA83.jpeg
    5EF7E78F-82FE-408F-9DE4-6979FDF6EA83.jpeg
    296.2 KB · Views: 14
If it is Mareks what do I do with the rest of my flock? I’m located in South Eastern Wisconsin.
Have any of your flock been vaccinated? I’m not really excpieriemced with chickens, what I know I know from reading through forums and chicken health medical articles for my geese “there’s nothing out there for geese” so I don’t really know what to do with a Mereks outbreak.
Eggcessive will know more than I and can give much better advice.

Have any of your flock been vaccinated? I’m not really excpieriemced with chickens, what I know I know from reading through forums and chicken health medical articles for my geese “there’s nothing out there for geese” so I don’t really know what to do with a Mereks outbreak.
Eggcessive will know more than I and can give much better advice.
As far as I’m aware of no? I rescued my adult White Polish coming on one year and then bought these other Polish’s for her from an in state hatchery this past March.

Wry Neck is a symptom so it's hard to know the cause. A few common causes are Marek's, Newcastle disease, injury or nutritional deficiency.

With the swelling of the eye with mucous she may also have a respiratory illness. You may want to try an antibiotic along with the vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference.
Tylosin/Tylan, Tetracyclines or Tiamulin (Dengard) are used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness like MG. There are also virus for which the antibiotics won't help unless there's secondary infection.

Clean out the eye 2-3 times a day. Flush with saline, press out the pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.

Wry Neck is a symptom so it's hard to know the cause. A few common causes are Marek's, Newcastle disease, injury or nutritional deficiency.

With the swelling of the eye with mucous she may also have a respiratory illness. You may want to try an antibiotic along with the vitamin therapy to see if that makes a difference.
Tylosin/Tylan, Tetracyclines or Tiamulin (Dengard) are used to treat symptoms of respiratory illness like MG. There are also virus for which the antibiotics won't help unless there's secondary infection.

Clean out the eye 2-3 times a day. Flush with saline, press out the pus, then apply an eye ointment like Terramycin.
Are these antibiotics/ointments I can obtain without a prescription? Also are any of them oral? I don’t feel comfortable with giving shots…

Are these antibiotics/ointments I can obtain without a prescription? Also are any of them oral? I don’t feel comfortable with giving shots…
You can order them online. It may be hard to source some of them since it seems like a lot of places may be on short supply.
The antibiotics are given orally or in the water.

Ointment you can most of the time find it at TSC.

Back
Top Bottom