Wry Neck? Hypothermia?

thanks ya'll....he's still hangin in there after a dustin' and some antibiotics....don't wanna do it all at once bc i don't wanna overdo it...but so far tons of mites have fallen off already!!! EWE! and he's even "talked" a little! dk if i accidentally hurt him or what but he did make a noise 2-3 times already, something he hasn't done at all since i brought him in...dk if that's good or bad but he looks a smidge more alert now too...oh and i haven't really had him under a light today, used hot water bottles so maybe that's had something to do w/ it too. who knows?

Mites and lice will suck the life out of the birds as will worms. Thats why in your other thread we suggested Safeguard. It is fenbendazole. Here a link on all worms they can get. Wazine only treats roundworm. Don't wait to treat him for worms.
http://www.dummies.com/how-to/content/parasitic-worms-in-chickens.html
UGH! i debated the safeguard today but was afraid since it's for larger animals and i don't know what i'm doing...he only ways 1.25 lbs!!! and the man (customer) i asked for help said he uses Wazine and when i mentioned to him that ya'll said it only kills roundworms, he repeated that that's what he uses.....guess i need to take it back and get safeguard. what about ivomec? my daddy has some of that around here somewhere...it will be another day or so before i get back to town.

UGH!  i debated the safeguard today but was afraid since it's for larger animals and i don't know what i'm doing...he only ways 1.25 lbs!!!  and the man (customer) i asked for help said he uses Wazine and when i mentioned to him that ya'll said it only kills roundworms, he repeated that that's what he uses.....guess i need to take it back and get safeguard.  what about ivomec?  my daddy has some of that around here somewhere...it will be another day or so before i get back to town.  
Use Safeguard. Heres a link for the dosage. Repeat in 10 days, egg withdrawal is thought to be 14 days after the last dosage. Do all your birds. :)

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/812128/worming-with-horse-wormer

UGH! i debated the safeguard today but was afraid since it's for larger animals and i don't know what i'm doing...he only ways 1.25 lbs!!! and the man (customer) i asked for help said he uses Wazine and when i mentioned to him that ya'll said it only kills roundworms, he repeated that that's what he uses.....guess i need to take it back and get safeguard. what about ivomec? my daddy has some of that around here somewhere...it will be another day or so before i get back to town. ***
*weighs not "ways"....

The wry neck may be a second issue - it can be caused by a peck to the head or other injury. Birds can and do recover from this unless people lose patience and just put them away.

The mites - are enough to kill him. If he is with the rest of your flock - they probably have mites as well. The smaller birds will suffer faster. Poor little guy I hope you will take him to a vet. You will also have to treat coop and other areas at the same time as you treat birds for mites. Otherwise they will keep picking up new ones.

The wry neck may be a second issue - it can be caused by a peck to the head or other injury. Birds can and do recover from this unless people lose patience and just put them away.

The mites - are enough to kill him. If he is with the rest of your flock - they probably have mites as well. The smaller birds will suffer faster. Poor little guy I hope you will take him to a vet. You will also have to treat coop and other areas at the same time as you treat birds for mites. Otherwise they will keep picking up new ones.
I have tried to find a vet to take him to but there don't seem to be any around me. The one "avian" vet I did find said, "We don't see chickens." So I politely asked her what kind of avian vet doesn't see chickens!?" When I asked what they DO see, she said "Birds...people's pets" !!!
rant.gif
REALLY??!! "Well then what is a chicken? A chicken is a bird and he's my pet!" UGH! SO, I took my chances on taking ya'll's experienced advice and so far he's ok. He seems to be a little more alert today than before. I'm still worried about the Sevin dust though - it says to avoid skin contact so how is it safe for his skin?!! Also, looks like i'll have to make another trip back to town for safeguard and return the Wazine. As far as dusting everywhere, they were confined to their own pen so I don't think any others have the mites but i dusted their houses anyway. I have a "Hollywood" flock (who once thought they were better than the "Pasture" flock) so I have 2 separate houses for these (bigger breed) birds. I did check one of the girls from "Hollywood" but didn't see anything. I may get back out there tomorrow with some more dust bc i don't know if i put enough in all 3 places or not. ...praying for a good night for Benny and a day filled with healing for him as well. I can't thank you all enough!!

Use Safeguard. Heres a link for the dosage. Repeat in 10 days, egg withdrawal is thought to be 14 days after the last dosage. Do all your birds.
smile.png

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/812128/worming-with-horse-wormer
ok, so i'm a little slow but i think i'm understanding this right....i have to do each chicken individually - orally??!! How in the world? I thought you could put it in their water?? I've got quite a few birds and can't get my hands on any of them really....maybe 1 or 2 unless i wait until nightfall...???? help????

Back
Top Bottom