Wry Neck? Hypothermia?

If he is still alive I would urge you to weigh him daily and start tube feeding fluids, then fluids and food.

-Kathy

ok, so i'm a bit scared at the moment with all this medicinal talk! i don't want to over do it and kill him...yes, the poo thing is still alive! this makes day 3 i believe...no! Day 4!! I got him tuesday morning if i'm not mistaken. anyway, i am going out in a bit but can't decide if i should try these options (vitamins, dust and wormer) or take him on to the vet. i feel so lost and let "little things" like this upset me so. most ppl would say "it's a CHICKEN!!!!" like i'm crazy for getting so worked up over it but he's still a life with feelings and i'm still a girl with little finances!
hit.gif
i just don't know what to do anymore! try to treat it myself and him still suffer or pay an astronomical vet bill for them to tell me he's gonna die anyway??????
hit.gif

If he is still alive I would urge you to weigh him daily and start tube feeding fluids, then fluids and food.

-Kathy
tube feeding??? i know absolutely NOTHING about tube feeding! i've been using a medicine dropper and giving him about 2 tsp of fluids every hour. he seems to swallow it well but just can't get up to get it himself.

sorry for all the posts this a.m. i just keep thinking of things i need to know before i leave home. is there any brand of vitamins better than the next? i will go to tractor supply. they have "Sav-A-Chick" electrolytes and something called Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes. i've been giving him pedialite....is that not enough in the way of electrolytes? can i give him poly-visol children's vitamins or what do i need to buy? i need somebody to tell me exactly what to pick up and how much to give....better yet, anybody willing to do it for me?! :D i don't wanna make a bad situation worse.

tube feeding??? i know absolutely NOTHING about tube feeding! i've been using a medicine dropper and giving him about 2 tsp of fluids every hour. he seems to swallow it well but just can't get up to get it himself.
You really should find a way to weigh him. If he's as sick as you say he is, everything you do to him, like giving fluids and wormer should be done based on his weight.

-Kathy

Last edited:
I would definitely look at tube feeding him,this is very easy to do, Kathy will explain it in detail.

I would remove the light as this may be stressing him out,instead for additional heat use a hot water bottle(wrap in a pillowcase) or fill a pop bottle/milk jug with hot water(again wrap in a towel or pillowcase)place beside him,he will either lay beside or sit on it depending on his needs,or even move away if too warm.

Keep giving him vitamins.

sorry for all the posts this a.m. i just keep thinking of things i need to know before i leave home. is there any brand of vitamins better than the next? i will go to tractor supply. they have "Sav-A-Chick" electrolytes and something called Durvet Vitamins and Electrolytes. i've been giving him pedialite....is that not enough in the way of electrolytes? can i give him poly-visol children's vitamins or what do i need to buy? i need somebody to tell me exactly what to pick up and how much to give....better yet, anybody willing to do it for me?! :D i don't wanna make a bad situation worse.
I use just pedialyte with mine.

-Kathy

I would definitely look at tube feeding him,this is very easy to do, Kathy will explain it in detail.

I would remove the light as this may be stressing him out,instead for additional heat use a hot water bottle(wrap in a pillowcase) or fill a pop bottle/milk jug with hot water(again wrap in a towel or pillowcase)place beside him,he will either lay beside or sit on it depending on his needs,or even move away if too warm.

Keep giving him vitamins.
I'm available by phone to help if one is willing/able to get the supplies.

-Kathy

I neglected to mention that you can also give him a low dose aspirin(81mg) or a reg aspirin(325 mg) dose is 25mg per lb of body weight. Aspirin helps with wry neck as it helps to reduce the pain/swelling involved in this condition.

Back
Top Bottom