Wry Neck or Newcastle Disease? What are the differences?

shelbylewis

Songster
Jun 3, 2018
SJ New Jersey
They both seem very similar to me and I have been treating my 5 day old baby chick for wry neck. Her neck is not twisted backwards like most cases I have seen, but she walks backwards, loses balances, and her head spins in a circle. She is still eating and drinking on her own and I am giving her vitamin supplements. I also hear clicking when I take her out to give her her vitamins and I have linked that to a possible respiratory infection. I am using VetRx in her water for that. I have a separate thread on this but I just want to make sure I am treating her for the right thing.

How have you been treating her?
Where are you located?

Wry Neck (Torticollis) is a neurological SYMPTOM of certain conditions and diseases - like Vitamin E deficiency, head injury/trauma, genetic defects, Marek's, Newcastle and Avian Lymphoid Leukosis.

Newcastle I would associate with respiratory symptoms along with the progression of paralysis and symptoms of wry neck.

If other chicks are or have been housed with this one, then I would expect more than 1 to have similar symptoms since Newcastle is highly contagious.

Since Newcastle and a few other respiratory diseases are caused by a virus, there is no real treatment. Antibiotics can treat secondary infections, but normally the illness will have to run it's course.
You received good advice on your other thread. I would continue to treat for Wry Neck and monitor the chick. Hopefully she will begin to improve.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ry-infection-pasty-butt-wry-neck-ugh.1282217/

Here's some reading about common diseases http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Last edited:
I have been treating her with
-Poly Vi Sol without iron
-vitamin e capsules
-selenium tablets
-poultry drench

I started the poultry drench on Saturday and the other stuff yesterday.

I am located in New Jersey.

Thank you for all of this information

I would really only choose 1 of those to give.

Selenium is only given in a very tiny amount 25mcg (micrograms) per day. An overload can be toxic. A little egg, tuna or sunflower seeds has sufficient Selenium for the uptake of E.

Aim for 400IU daily of Vitamin E and add some B vitamins (1/4 tablet B-Complex).
Not sure what is in PolyViSol, but I do know that Poultry Nutri-Drench contains E, B1 and Selenium.

Just don't overdo it on the vitamins:)

Selenium is only given in a very tiny amount 25mcg (micrograms) per day. An overload can be toxic. A little egg, tuna or sunflower seeds has sufficient Selenium for the uptake of E.

Aim for 400IU daily of Vitamin E and add some B vitamins (1/4 tablet B-Complex).
Not sure what is in PolyViSol, but I do know that Poultry Nutri-Drench contains E, B1 and Selenium.

Okay, I will stick with the nutri-drench since it is made specifically for poultry. I will go out and get some tuna sunflower seeds and grit tomorrow!

Wry neck or Crooked Neck is a typical Vitamin E & Selenium Deficiency
&
ND Newcastle is the viral virus that cause multiple things in the body of chicken but if this virus join the wry neck it will make more difficult to treat it .

My Bottle of vitami

I've read this oral administration of common poultry vitamins
vitamin A, 5,000 to 10,000 IU/day;vitamin D, 1,000 to 2,000 IU/day;vitamin E, 100 to 300 IU/day; and vitamin K, 5 mg every three days.

I've used PolyVisol without the iron for Riboflavin Deficiency when I had a 3wk old chick develop CTP (Curly Toe Paralysis). Not sure where I read about it but it was "easier" for me to administer than the B - Complex. Found this off a label for PolyVisol without Iron, it was two long weeks but chick recovered and went back to it's owner.

Serving Size: 1 ml daily
Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 750IU50%
Vitamin C 35mg100%
Iron 10mg67%
Vitamin D 400IU100%
Vitamin E 5IU100%
Niacin 8mg100%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg100%
Riboflavin 0.6mg100%
Thiamin 0.5mg100%
MetricServingSize 1ml
* Percentage of Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Serving Size: 1 ml daily

Amount Per Serving
% Daily Value*
Vitamin A 750IU30%
Vitamin C 35mg88%
Iron 10mg100%
Vitamin D 400IU100%
Vitamin E 5IU50%
Niacin 8mg89%
Vitamin B6 0.4mg57%
Riboflavin 0.6mg75%
Thiamin 0.5mg71%
MetricServingSize 1ml
* Percentage of Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
Ingredients:
Glycerin, Water, Ascorbic Acid, Ferrous Sulfate, Vitamin E Succinate, Niacinamide, Polysorbate 80, Caramel Color, Riboflavin-5-Phosphate Sodium, Vitamin A Palmitate, Thiamin Hydrochloride, Vitamin D3, Vitamin B6 Hydrochloride, Natural and Artificial Flavor, Sulfuric Acid (Antioxidant for Iron), Sulfites.
Allergens & Warnings:
Do not use if printed bottle neckband is missing or broken. Accidental overdose of iron-containing products is a leading cause of fatal poisoning in children under 6. Keep this product out of the reach of children. In case of accidental overdose, call a doctor or poison control center immediately.

Wry neck or Crooked Neck is a typical Vitamin E & Selenium Deficiency
Also vitamin b deficiency
http://www.poultrydvm.com/condition/thiamin-deficiency

I had two of these in the last year and I treated with injections of B complex for cattle and they recovered in less than 2 hours.
tractor vitamin b_1.png

I have been treating her with
-Poly Vi Sol without iron
-vitamin e capsules
-selenium tablets
-poultry drench

I started the poultry drench on Saturday and the other stuff yesterday.

I am located in New Jersey.

Thank you for all of this information
Go get some of this and give 0.05 ml to 0.1 ml orally.

tractor vitamin b_1.png

thiamine_3.png

Back
Top Bottom