Wry neck...Treat or euthanize?? UPDATED with GREAT results!!

Pics
Thank you both again for taking the time to reply.
We have been giving her vitamin E, NutriDrench and PolyVisol (we stopped the PolyVisol) and feeding her scrambled eggs and sunflower seeds for three weeks.
Our vet was out sick today, due in tomorrow, and she is supposed to call us. I think we'll probably end up taking her in.

Thank you both again for taking the time to reply.
We have been giving her vitamin E, NutriDrench and PolyVisol (we stopped the PolyVisol)  and feeding her scrambled eggs and sunflower seeds for three weeks.
Our vet was out sick today, due in tomorrow, and she is supposed to call us. I think we'll probably end up taking her in.

Oh I do hope you can get her to the vet. She may be more susceptible to a deficiency than others in the flock , for one reason or another. Shortfalls can even be passed through the egg.
Unless you have reason t believe that the bird may have had an injury to the head, then my first course of action would be to adjust the diet. I've kept silkies for 15 years and it is suspected that they are very poor at absorbing vitamin E and that certain feeds high in corn and or wheat should be avoided. I routinely add a multi vitamin to their water.

http://www.browneggblueegg.com/Article/CornAndSilkies.html

Good point about susceptibility. We have always given them water with Rooster Booster, and will continue to do so.
I really hope the vet can do something for her. Will post developments.
Thanks again,

Charlie

So it's been about two months now, and I am so happy to report that Penny is doing much better. After sitting with her for about an hour, at least twice a day, and feeding her vitamin B Complex, selenium, and vitamin E, (dosages recommended by our vet) about two weeks ago she started to show signs of improvement. Today she still cocks her head sideways sometimes, but for the most part she stands and walk around with her head almost straight up. I'm hoping for a full recovery, but we'll just keep up the treatments and see what happens. If anyone who is reading this has a chicken with wry neck, I want you to know that at times, I was ready to give up, wondering if what we were putting her through was fair to her. I'm so glad we stuck with it. I can't tell you that wry neck can be cured every time, and it was very painful to watch her at times, but just know, if you are willing to commit to help them, chances are good you will succeed. And so you know, Penny is about three years old. A lot of what I read was from people who had chicks with wry neck. There is hope, even when things look pretty grim.....

Charlie

So it's been about two months now, and I am so happy to report that Penny is doing much better. After sitting with her for about an hour, at least twice a day, and feeding her vitamin B Complex, selenium, and vitamin E, (dosages recommended by our vet) about two weeks ago she started to show signs of improvement. Today she still cocks her head sideways sometimes, but for the most part she stands and walk around with her head almost straight up. I'm hoping for a full recovery, but we'll just keep up the treatments and see what happens. If anyone who is reading this has a chicken with wry neck, I want you to know that at times, I was ready to give up, wondering if what we were putting her through was fair to her.  I'm so glad we stuck with it. I can't tell you that wry neck can be cured every time, and it was very painful to watch her at times, but just know, if you are willing to commit to help them, chances are good you will succeed. And so you know, Penny is about three years old. A lot of what I read was from people who had chicks with wry neck. There is hope, even when things look pretty grim.....

Charlie

That's great news Charlie. It's a hard slog caring for special needs chickens , good on you for sticking with it. Be sure to make the necessary adjustments to the diet and even after complete recovery, continue to supplement with a good multi vitamin.
1f60a.png

Found our hen tonight with wry neck...she was broody and we just got her 3 chicks two days ago...they were still sleeping under her even though her neck was thrown back and moving like Stevie Wonder....we moved the chicks to the other hen with chicks and will check early in the morn to see if she accepted them...meanwhile, Bleu is on our kitchen table and we just gave her some vit e..and will add to that in the morn...THANK YOU ALL for such detailed info and the hope that has come with it.. will do my best to see her heal...could her vit deficiency have come on fast during her three week broodiness?...they are free range and this is our first sick girl...and our first mamas ..should i bring her chicks back with her? even if their new mother accepts them?...

Found our hen tonight with wry neck...she was broody and we just got her 3 chicks two days ago...they were still sleeping under her even though her neck was thrown back and moving like Stevie Wonder....we moved the chicks to the other hen with chicks and will check early in the morn to see if she accepted them...meanwhile, Bleu is on our kitchen table and we just gave her some vit e..and will add to that in the morn...THANK YOU ALL for such detailed info and the hope that has come with it.. will do my best to see her heal...could her vit deficiency have come on fast during her three week broodiness?...they are free range and this is our first sick girl...and our first mamas ..should i bring her chicks back with her? even if their new mother accepts them?...

Poor girl , yes her fasting will have contributed. Be sure to get a thiamine rich multi vit into her.
She might not be capable of caring for her chicks for some time, you will just have to ' play by ear'.

An update....did what you said and also pulled her neck out strait and held it...she is eating and her neck has been strait for two hours now...she rejoined the others...i am watching her dillegently..again..thank you

Back
Top Bottom