wry neck treatment.

amberoxo

In the Brooder
12 Years
Aug 11, 2007
let me start by saying, i work at tractor supply & every year, we end up with one duck with wry neck & ive read so much about it that i could probably write a book at this point. i brought my wry neck duck home on tuesday, according to the hatchery, he was a day old then. for the first two nights, i gave him vitamins & electrolytes in his water & feed (i made a paste with chick starter & the vitamin/electrolyte enhanced water). yesterday, i switched him over to a formula, due to the lack of polyvisol at my local walmart, ive started making a formula, he loves him, & it seems to have improved his strength considerably. the formula consists of soymilk, chicken & chicken broth baby food, vitamin e, niacin, & selenium. is there anything else that should be added? he seems to be improving, he doesnt spin as much unless hes excited, & he will hold his head upright to eat or drink. when hes relaxed, his head is still tilted & he still flips backwards from time to time.

we've got a small washtub in the back with a heat lamp & shavings where we keep them. our district manager told us to keep sick chicks off the floor. we've not been told anything about culling. i always buy the wry neck ducks & bring them home.

huh, idk than....
i havent seen any tub in the back. but than again its been a few days since i worked. they may of set one up real quick.
i did stop in the other day, didnt see any sick ones. Sooo i brought home some banties and barred rocks LOL my manager goes MORE chicks??????? Lol

lol, when my duck came in tuesday, i told my assistant to fix a sick tank for him, until i got off work, & any others. when i left wednesday, we'd taken two chicks to the back. i didnt work yesterday or today.

i used to raise silkies, then my neighbor started hoarding dogs & ive been poultry-less ever since. they're my favorite. i hope we dont get any silkies, it makes me so sad to sell them. ive been looking for a coop design that would be strong enough to keep the dogs out so i can have them again. & if this duck lives, it will need somewhere to stay, too.

The neighbors dogs come on your property???? 0.o see where im from, we are allowed to shoot them if they are harrassing livestock. so normally everyone keeps track of their dogs.

I did pick up two buff silkie chicks from the store =) it was the ONLY reason i decided to get bantie (10) LOL i got a lil carried away after 2
hide.gif

Silkies are pretty enjoyable. but im trying to test out a few breeds. see if there are any "better" ones lol dont just wanna fall in love with the first breed i come across.

i Usually have ducks, but... they ALWAYS wander to the neighbors swamp LOL they say "bye mom! we are gonna go be WILD duckies!" so ive kinda started to sway away from them since i only get to hear em talk occasionally lol

i think we're technically allowed to shoot them, but i know she'll do something to my dogs in return. ive got a 6lb yorkie & last summer, one of her dogs attacked him & bit through his eye, & obviously scratched the other, so hes blind now. & ive got a heeler, but she wont leave the yard for love nor money. its just a mess. they chase my horse almost constantly & we've lost one goat to them. its not at all a good enviroment for poultry.

i had a silkie rooster, we bought him as an adult, & he'd come when you called his name, he'd sit in your lap as long as you let him, he was just like a dog. they're so friendly & docile. i had a few ameraucanas & really liked them. mine were always real hardy. id like to have silver laced wyandottes. i think they're very attractive.

& i had muscovies, too, they're the most homebody ducks ive ever seen. they never left the yard. mine were real docile & friendly. we had a drake that would greet everyone that pulled in the driveway.

Oh My Goodness!
I would have the cops, and media, and animal control, and the county board (as well as what ever else i could pull out) ALL Over their behinds!
but i kinda know what you mean though, i just lost my 2 dogs on the 29th, we are positive it was the neighbors kid who poisoned em. (you know about "golden marleen" unfortunately we sell it...) but being the fact that his mom is "dating" the cop. we cant even do anything. We've had SOOO many problems with the neighbors since we moved in. they wanted to hunt our horse pasture. we said no, but you can still hear guns go off out there. an their dog WAS always on our property. til thier female ran away. and we threatened to shoot the male who was attacking Us and our animals. (they started cabling him)
but yea, it is Sad how ppl act nowadays to thier neighbors, whatever happened to common courtesy.

i had some aruacanas growing up, Loved them. tho they tend to stick to themselves they laided amazing eggs, and were very flock friendly. i havent tried wyandottes yet, havent really heard much about them.
ha, my (at the time) boyfriend had gotten muscovies cause his mom wanted a nice pretty duck that would sit in the pond, but had some flight to avoid predators. so i told him about muscovies and even found someone selling em. probably about 4 months later i hear they were slaughtered as they were trying to offer me a duck sandwich. i was just like "what???? Nooooo..."
Lol dont get me wrong i raise birds for meat too, but just was NOT expecting Them to get used for that purpose lol it was a shocker.

we've called the animal shelter so many times they know our number & dont answer. they came once & took about 70% of her dogs, i think they took 13? or something. & they gave three or four of them back, without spaying or neutering them. so that did nothing for the problem. & im sorry about your dogs, thats so sad.

hahaha. we never ate anything we raised, & we always incubated the eggs. i dont think i could eat something i raised from a baby.

Omgosh! she IS a hoarder 0.o ive never actually SEEN a dog hoarder...

lol an yea, i have to keep telling myself from the get go that that is lunch, dinner, edible, seasoning, etc. we try REALLY hard to not get attached.

Back
Top Bottom