Wry Neck

Genny died sometime during the night last night.
1f614.png

Very sorry to hear that :(
Since she had no neck twist and was still eating I wonder if something else was going on?

When I found her in the kennel this morning, she was kinda laying on her side but her head was turned towards the sky. So, I don't know. She always seemed to be a little "off" so I did everything I could, which probably just bought her more time.

None of the others (5 hens & 1 roo) are acting differently.

She should've been of laying age (approx 6months) so someone suggested the possibility of being egg bound but I never felt anything. She's always been smaller so I wouldn't be surprised if she had issues laying an egg. Plus, she didn't have most of the symptoms, as she was eating, drinking, pooping, etc. So, I don't know.

When I put her in for the night, I just had a feeling that she was going to pass during the night. I sat her down on the ground & she just laid down on one side like this. The others were walking all around her eating grass & she would look at them for a minute and then just close her eyes.
1f615.png

^she was alive in this photo.
1f614.png

Last edited:
I have a chicken that started showing signs of wry neck as a chick. Her head was slightly twisted to the side and she has always seemed a little off balance. I just assumed it was an untreatable neurological defect since I had never heard of wry neck. About a week and a half ago, I found her on the floor of the coop. She started tucking her head and rolling on her back. I brought her inside and I have been syringe feeding her since. I started with yogurt and electrolytes, did some research and have had her on B Vitamin Complex, Vit E, Vit A, and Selinum. I did not have any predisone so I started giving her water with aspirin in it. I've made her a baby bird formula out of dog food and chicken starter. Today is the first day she has tried to eat independently. I am very excited, but still worried. I'm not sure how long it will take for her to rebound or if she will rebound. Any ideas on a time frame that I should give her recovery? She is a favorite pet and I want her to recover, but don't want to make her suffer. Thanks.

I have a chicken that started showing signs of wry neck as a chick. Her head was slightly twisted to the side and she has always seemed a little off balance. I just assumed it was an untreatable neurological defect since I had never heard of wry neck. About a week and a half ago, I found her on the floor of the coop. She started tucking her head and rolling on her back. I brought her inside and I have been syringe feeding her since. I started with yogurt and electrolytes, did some research and have had her on B Vitamin Complex, Vit E, Vit A, and Selinum. I did not have any predisone so I started giving her water with aspirin in it. I've made her a baby bird formula out of dog food and chicken starter. Today is the first day she has tried to eat independently. I am very excited, but still worried. I'm not sure how long it will take for her to rebound or if she will rebound. Any ideas on a time frame that I should give her recovery? She is a favorite pet and I want her to recover, but don't want to make her suffer. Thanks.

I can't really tell you how long recovery will take. Every case is a bit different I think. In my guys case it took WAAAAY longer than I ever expected. I really don't believe that wry neck is painful to them. It looks horrible and I'm sure it's frustrating for them but I don't believe they suffer physical pain. Good for you for seeing improvement. Stick with it! Don't stop meds abruptly and be prepared for some set backs along the way. Best wishes.

I can't really tell you how long recovery will take. Every case is a bit different I think. In my guys case it took WAAAAY longer than I ever expected. I really don't believe that wry neck is painful to them. It looks horrible and I'm sure it's frustrating for them but I don't believe they suffer physical pain. Good for you for seeing improvement. Stick with it! Don't stop meds abruptly and be prepared for some set backs along the way. Best wishes.
Thanks

Back
Top Bottom