Wry neck?

Oct 16, 2020
Hey Guys,

So this one bird of mine has wry neck, I believe. I went out to feed them today, and it looks hunchback and like it’s head is on sideways.

it’s about 3-4 weeks old, and was part of a hatch of shipped Eggs that were kind of crummy.

I gave the batch of them scrambled egg and added kickin chicken supplement to their feed. But I’m wondering—if it gets better, should I breed this one?

I’ve seen comments elsewhere on BYC saying not to breed birds that have had wry neck, because a propensity for it is genetic.

But...in a 3 week old chick, would you say that’s overwhelmingly true?

Also—the other chicks can’t catch it, right?

Attachments

• F19B818A-9B2C-4DB5-9A13-4F02DCEB7197.jpeg
    F19B818A-9B2C-4DB5-9A13-4F02DCEB7197.jpeg
    337.1 KB · Views: 16
  • 6109EABF-4AE8-4B38-8EFA-21C285BB5DD7.jpeg
    6109EABF-4AE8-4B38-8EFA-21C285BB5DD7.jpeg
    380.9 KB · Views: 9
  • 623B2CF4-6EBB-4C60-A560-87D4BA69ADAA.jpeg
    623B2CF4-6EBB-4C60-A560-87D4BA69ADAA.jpeg
    505.3 KB · Views: 9
Wry neck could be caused by incubation issues, but could also be genetic. I wouldn't breed it.

Aw, damn. this was my favorite one, as well as one of only 3 I got to hatch that lay speckled eggs. :(

Now I’m questioning the fitness of all 7 chicks from that hatch, as I dont know which came from my own eggs and which came from the shipped ones.

Ugh. I ordered eggs to expand my genetic diversity, and all I seem to have gotten was problems. :/

I agree with @Nabiki .

And even if it isn't genetic, this one will have trouble to mate ...
... as roo it could not grab the females neck accordigly to mount...
... as female it might be hurt by a mounting roo, as she cannot duck accordigly or turn away the eyes.

I also to not breed with deformations.

Sounds harsh now, but I feed them, till they have butchering weight :idunno

I agree with @Nabiki .

And even if it isn't genetic, this one will have trouble to mate ...
... as roo it could not grab the females neck accordigly to mount...
... as female it might be hurt by a mounting roo, as she cannot duck accordigly or turn away the eyes.

I also to not breed with deformations.

Sounds harsh now, but I feed them, till they have butchering weight :idunno
I agree. If it developed it just now, you may be able to heal it with vitamin e supplements, but this means it isn’t metabolizing it’s nutrients as well as the others, and it may pass this to its young. If a chick is born with it from hatching sideways or backwards, and it responds to treatment, I would be more willing to breed that one than one who developed it later.

Back
Top Bottom