WTH is that?

Chickengene

Songster
Feb 21, 2019
East TN
WTH is that?
This is what I found in my nest box.
The two smaller eggs are what I get every day. And no that is not trick photography. It is literally twice as big at least.
Also, do chickens sometimes lay eggs with different hues of say brown eggs?
IMG_20190516_135921907.jpg

WTH is that?
This is what I found in my nest box.
The two smaller eggs are what I get every day. And no that is not trick photography. It is literally twice as big at least.
Also, do chickens sometimes lay eggs with different hues of say brown eggs?View attachment 1865261
That is a painful looking, likely double yolker.
Did this come from a pullet?

Crack it! Probably a double yolker. There are lots of funky things that can happen when the eggs are forming. Sometimes things go awry and they pass to slowly or quickly and it changes the final product. I can't remember the specifics of a double yolker though. I would have to google.

I don't know if it is warranted, but I always worry about my hens that lay really big eggs. I prefer hens that don't lay huge eggs because eggs can get stuck or they can damage the vent and cause a prolapse. I have lost a few birds over the years to those kinds of things. I don't know how much of a factor egg size really is with egg binding and prolapse issues. I think diet, heredity, and activity levels can also play a role.

I have no ideal. I have four hens of laying age. Obviously from the photo ,an EE at least (2). A RIR also at least (2). And I have two Speckled Sussex that are just under (2). The first two birds I acquired as adults, the Sussex I accidentally purchased as day old chicks.
Somebody lays darker brown eggs; though I haven't figured out which.

Back
Top Bottom