WTH is wrong with TSC? Chick purchasing nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
just last thursday I went in there to get six chicks. I was able to pick thru them and see which one I liked best and all. I decided I wanted more, went in today and gates were up and they were getting a attitude when I walked inside with them so I could get a better look at the chicks I was going to pay my money for but couldn't pick up to get a better look at which is completely stupid in my opinion. I didn't have to sign a book tho. I don't understand why you can't goad a chick your going to pay for. They only had two breeds and the bantams in. Where last week they had like six or so different breeds. And the people working there know close to nothing about the kinds me chicks they are.

Quote:
^^^ Right there. That's what I was told, but at another TSC (30 miles away in the same state) I was told they don't replace chicks. I don't know. I only lost one and it was a freebie I took to try to save.

I buy all my chickies at Russell Feed and Supply. (I'm in Texas) Never had to sign a book with number of birds, but don't get to get my own out of the brooder. That being said, they have the 5 foot tall stack of brooders and I can specify which chicks I want, just can't grab 'em myself. They will also make sure to order the breeds their customers want. They get 'em from Ideal... I told the "pet room lady" in January that I wanted a Delaware, 2 EE, and a BR. When she was able to place her first order in February, she made sure those breeds were on her list. Pretty awesome since I only wanted 4 chicks - and have only purchased 11 other chicks in the last 3 years. Maybe since they are local, I get all my dog/cat/chicken feed there, so they know me pretty well.
big_smile.png

Our local TSC, however, has too many chicks in open metal feed tubs - and EVERYONE handles them in spite of the signs saying not to. Frankly, from a biosecurity standpoint and stress on the birds, I prefer the Feed store. Some of those chickies at TSC look like they've been to h**l and back...
duc.gif

I understand why you'd keep kids away cause they will absolutely kill your chicks and before even responsible parents can stop them... I've had that happen to me.
sad.png

I don't know about the rest. We have Feldmans and Orschelns here and both carry chicks without all the craziness I'm reading here. BTW, Tractor Supply ALWAYS asks me for my phone number in which I always reply "Not gonna give it to you". They have come to expect that of me though...

I'd try one of the other stores. If that don't work, then post an ad on Craigslist and order chicks as a group.
smile.png

Dave

Actually. while the OP had to wait, other than that I can't see a problem. First the store probably has to report any dead, injured or dieing chicks to the hatchery so the person whose job it is to unload them had better be accountable. Second. I'm glad to hear they are fencing off the chicks not only does that keep little sticky kids' hands off them but not any Tom. Dick and Harry can handle them either. At the minimum it is good biosecurity. Likewise, if only one person is handling them that would lower the chances of disease. We also have a feed store that sells chicks as well as the Agway in Ithaca and neither one allows anyone but an employee to handle birds. They'll try to get you the ones you want but they will be the ones making the catch--makes sense to me.

I'm all for corralling the chicks so they don't get abused by those unsupervised, lovely children. But I was treated as if I was a child myself. Oh, and I am nothing but patient and respectful as a shopper. I didn't give any attitude during my waiting period. The employee gave enough attitude for the both of us.
I rarely ever shop at TSC. I don't appreciate the attitudes and the general lack of product knowledge. I usually shop at the local mom and pop feed stores. Much, much nicer folks and better prices in most cases.
wink.png
I only went there because the three local feed stores I shop at were not going to be getting another shipment of chicks for 4 weeks! Crazy chicken mania going on out here! Last year, no one could give chicks away. Now they can't keep them in the stores for more than a couple of hours!
I've hatched all of my other eggs myself. Just wanted to add some RIRs to the mix.

We were in tractor supply this morning . ( hubby thought he might of left his glasses there on Monday). they had their shippment of chicks and ducklings in .. the poor ducklings were all very tired acting. they only had water for them and it has shavings in it. they three bins of chicks were doing a lot better.. I would of loved to of rescued several of the ducklngs but I already have 4 ducks and hubby got me 3 chicks two weeks ago..

we got the chicks at brazos feed and had to sign a slip of paper and put our information on it. they had circled which breeds we had gotten..

tractor supply had the chicks and ducklings fenced off.. I sure hope the little ducklings perked up .

Wow, I can't believe how rude she was to you. I took my son to Tractor Supply last week to look at the chicks. We weren't buying any. I just wanted to show him how much ours had grown. It's hard to see it when you are around them all the time. The guy there was pretty brusk and told us if we wanted any chicks he would get them. I replyed that we weren't buying just comparing. I reminded my son that these were not his chicks and to keep his hands out. Alex knows about transfering diseases as we have parrots and he knows wash your hands and use sanitizer is gonna get said. We stood and admired the two different groups of chicks. They all appeared healthy and happy. We got to see how much our little buggers have grown and the impatient employee got ignored. We had fun and bought not a thing. Their prices are ridiculous anyway.
big_smile.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom