WTH is wrong with TSC? Chick purchasing nightmare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
hide.gif
I will admit..I did buy from our local TSC...it was simply an impulse buy and I think that is how they make alot of the sales...but I went in after reading another thread regarding the poor customer service and mixing up chicks..not knowing sex or breeds...I thought I knew enough to ask all the correct questions...but went home with diffrent breed then I was told...I don't think the store employees understand what happens to these chicks that are sold as a laying breed and sold as females..only to find out they are meat birds and roos...but I think that this will be the only year I am going to buy from them...only because I think they should stop selling them. The employees are given extra duties...having to moniter the kids that just want to "touch" the chicks and the parents that don't watch their kids...dealing with irritable customers....it has got to be very stressful and in turn the chicks are not given the care they deserve or need...
I went in to get more feed and bought the chicks...the experiance I had was ok....they were selling out of chicks very fast and the girl in charge was busy..but they let me pick out the ones I wanted..the pens were cleaner then the last trip there..and there were no dead chicks that I could see...that being said....the girl did tell sell me the wrong breed of chicks and had them in an unlabeled bin...but again it my responsibilty to know what it is that I am buying. I have to agree with you..I hope TSC does read these post and makes the changes that are needed!
hu.gif

I got my Buffs about 5 weeks ago at TS. There were 9 left, so I took all. Looks like I have too many roosters! One died (major trauma for me) but the rest are doing well. At that time, no cattle panels were up, and no book to sign. I have cruised by them since then and they have panels up now.

My experience with TSC is very good. The local folks have gone out of their way to help me every time I go in.
smile.png

Well, I just got 6 black sexlink pullets at a TSC near me, and the employee who helped me was very nice. There's were gated off with corral panels, too----but who can blame them when some people come in with their kids and let them pick up the chicks and play with them? That is very irresponsible parenting--------the chicks are living creatures, not play-toys. Anyway, the person who helped me at Rural King on Sat. was very nice also-------although the manager was a jerk when I went back on Tues. to get a refund because they had overcharged me. The signing thing is odd----I've never been asked to do that, and probably came about because of people having chickens in areas not zoned for them.

I think it's good that they are not open for anyone to pick them up. I think you should be able to pick which you want even if the employee has to get them. Most pet stores have to do this with any animals - even fish.

The feedstore I usually buy from has them in cages, but will let you get out what you want. It does stop people from handling them unless they are actually buying.

At another feedstore I over heard a conversation with a mom and little girl. I loved what the mom said. Little girl wanted to hold some of the chicks. Mom said no because we are not buying any. If you pick one up and hurt it, then someone buys it and it dies, then it's like stealing.

Given all the "press" about TSC, and much of being on the negative side here lately, one wonders whether there will be Chick Days going forward. Not as they were held in the past. You can almost bet there are corporate meetings evaluating this headache, one they do not need and evaluating whether to dump Chick Days altogether.

TSC is not the only place to procure chicks. Simply because they are a large, visible retail outfit, they take the most heat here. $.02

I work at TSC and nobody should be rude to our customers...sorry for the bad experience:( The coral panels went up around the chicks by order of upper management because parents were letting their kids climb in with the chickens, ducks and rabbits...and had no regard to the fact that these are live animals. They let their kids run wild like they are at the fair or something...idk...lol. The book is mandatory from the state agriculture dept...it may vary from state to state...Please don't let the rudeness of that employee run you off from TSC...she is probably over worked and underpaid....lol....ya'll come back now!!!
big_smile.png

I got my 3 chicks at Orscheln's and only got the 3 I wanted. The woman did scoop them up for me which was fine I would have just grabbed them randomly anyway. I didn't have to leave any info. Plus they had lots of different breeds of birds, BO, several types of Wyandotts, RIR's, plus lots of bantems, and some regular types of fluffy yellow broiler chicks. Plus lots of straight runs and pullets. I've been taking my kids to chick days for years and they don't pick them up and they have never killed a chick.

TSC same week only had bantems and broiler chicks plus they only had enough space for the ones they had whereas Orscheln's had lots of brooders set up and waiting for new birds.

When I first bought chicks from TSC a month ago, they were in the bins on the floor and you could pick out your own chicks.

I went in there last week and there was a huge cattle gate around the bins and ONLY employees were allowed to handle the chicks.

Considering what some kids do to the chicks, I don't mind this new situation at all.
thumbsup.gif
I guess TSC is trying to do more to protect the chicks.
I also noticed the rabbit bin was elevated above kid-level with a humongous DO NOT TOUCH sign.

I'm glad I bought mine when it was "easy pickins" and now I don't need to buy more cuz I have way too many right now.
And I'd like to hatch some of my own in the future.
jumpy.gif

And, of course, there's always the poultry swaps that I can't seem to stay away from!

When I bought my chicks last month, they asked me to sign the notebook. I thought it was odd, but I signed anyway (bogus info).

I bought some chicks at out local TSC about a month ago (a moment of weakness) and they were in the bins with everyone man-handling them,..old and young alike. I got to pick mine out and didn't have to sign anything. Haven't been back for awhile so I don't know if they have coralled them in or not. Hope so. I do know that when I purchased my chicks some employees were telling me that there had been a big stink over the bio-security here because we have a lot of turkey farms (BUTA),..and the employees were told who work for the turkey farms that in no way are they allowed to be at TSC or even be in the parking lot during chick days,..or they will be fired. Which you cannot blame them,...any disease could easily be transfered. One of TSC employees husband works for the turkey farm and they said the way it sounded that she was going to have to quit her job at TSC or her husband would lose his job for the turkey farm. I would say before it is over with,.. TSC chick days will be no more. Too much liability for them. I say stick with the hatcheries or your local mom n' pop feed stores,..or hatch your own. JMO,...
wink.png

I life in Wellsboro PA and have a close TSC and when they first started getting chicks in you were able to pick them up and they even offered hand sanatizer to use afterwards, however last week when we went in to see that they had gotten for a shippment they had cattle gates around all the chicks and even the rabbits..no one's getting through those to touch the animals. I was appauled but it's to keep the animals safe so I didn't mind too much and by your experiences I'm glad I ordered my chicks and keets from a local feed store who has been very good to me so far. They've answered lots of questions since I'm new to raising chickens and keets. I was calling TSC every week on Mondays, Tuesdays and Wednesdays because I was looking for Black Australorps and Guinea Hens, they informed me that orders are predone by TSC Headquartes and the stores themselves don't know what they are getting until the packages show up, they told me my selections would definetly be in the store but to this date I've never seen them in the store. Hope all who get their chicks from TSC end up with good little chicks and that the store treats you good!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom