WTH? MAILING COSTS?

Rare Feathers Farm

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 1, 2008
Pleasant Valley, (Okanogan) WA
My Coop
My Coop
So I just went to the post office to mail out a bar of soap (it is 5.5oz). I wanted it to go USPS parcel post. It is going to cost me $8.43!!!
th.gif

That's like me LOSING money on my soap. My soaps are around $4 each and I charge $5.00 for shipping. Each soap costs me roughly $2.00 to make!!!

I just raised my shipping prices to $6.95 and I'll have to raise my soap prices AGAIN. GRRRR!!!

They keep raising their shipping.
barnie.gif

Flat rate box used to be $8.95, then it went to $9.10, now it is $9.30. Those are the online prices. You save about .20 cents if you print them out at home, and pay online.

Quote:
You can ship up to 16 oz. via Priority Mail for only 4.80 or do Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope for 4.80 and put as much as you can get into the envelope. Also, you can do first class up to 13 oz and I don't think it will go over 4.00 . For 5.5 oz. if you did first class it shouldn't cost over 3.00... I usually ship all of my products online thru usps or paypal and I have a scale so it's pretty good that way . You even get a small discount for shipping online.

I hear ya...

I mailed 4 boxes last week... Spent $65.
ep.gif
The PO is getting ridiculous. They keep jacking prices and we keep getting the same sh*tty service. I want to know WHY I pay $12 shipping for eggs and yet they STILL show up broken? That price should ensure that they arrived in PERFECT condition... Yet it doesn't.
barnie.gif

Quote:
You can ship up to 16 oz. via Priority Mail for only 4.80 or do Priority Mail Flat Rate envelope for 4.80 and put as much as you can get into the envelope. Also, you can do first class up to 13 oz and I don't think it will go over 4.00 . For 5.5 oz. if you did first class it shouldn't cost over 3.00... I usually ship all of my products online thru usps or paypal and I have a scale so it's pretty good that way . You even get a small discount for shipping online.

Yeah, I called the post office & they said it would be cheaper to have it go Priority than parcel post??!?

Quote:
That bar of soap to ship should have cost you MAX $4 something for priority in a flat rate envelope. First Class should have been less.

NEVER NEVER use Parcel post for packages under 13 oz.

If you use Parcel Post within a certain distance from your shipping zip code, it will be much higher than priority mail. Parcel Post usually isn't very affordable, unless the packages are very heavy or it is going a long distance.

Consider flat rate priority mail envelopes (the paper ones). For years and still now, I stuff those babies full to ship. The only "rule" I have been told is it can go stuffed full, but can only have 1 piece of tape across the tab in order to secure it shut.

Also....ALWAYS ALWAYS ALWAYS check for the cheapest rate by using www.usps.com

Also, now days, you get a small discount if you print your labels online. I always print my labels through the paypal payment.

I've shipped with my websites for 6 years....it always pays to spend just a minute to compare rates to ship the cheapest as possible.

The 7x7x6 boxes ship for the $4 something price, as long as it stays at 15 oz or less.

HTH

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom