WWYD---quick, I've got it trapped!----updated!

about a year ago I heard my birds going crazy, so i got up went to the porch to see what was going on. their was a dog eating one of my chickens and get this,its owner was in my backyard looking through my windows!!! I told her to remove her animal from my yard or i will shoot it, she said go ahead !
I went and got the gun

I asked her again to remove her animal and herself from my property, She said i knew you would'nt . She was still talking as the dog took a .22 cal to the head, and then the drama started. she was crying and fell on the ground freaking out, yelling i shot her dog, she then started to throw rocks at me. I know what your all thinking and well i did have the gun but thats more trouble then its worth, so i called 911 and they sent the dog officer.

By the end of it all she had a dead dog and a 25 doller fine for no leash with a no trespass order. I did feel bad for the dog as it is its owners fault, but people take control of your animals, read the laws, and dont be surprised if we chicken owners fight back to protect what are most times loved pets.

Last edited:
Quote:
I would have taken them to your local animal shelter (animal control). Told them what has been happening and that you will be out of town (and the fowl will be unprotected). Most shelters hold them for three days before destroying the animal. They will also fine the people (fines get bigger with every time the dogs are picked up).

Since the dogs owners offered to pay you for the chickens the first time and you didn't take the money, they might think that means it's not so important to you. My guess is the people don't "understand" that you care for your chickens (that they are not just food/groceries to you).

txchickie said: ... I know it sounds dumb knowing what the dogs did to my sweet birds (and my baby lavender guinea OOHHH I'm still mad!!), but I feel bad taking the dogs to the pound. I'm sure they'll be put down, they're not very attractive animals....They're not vicious or agressive dogs, just BORED dogs. Dogs who got crappy owners who let them run around the country at night where they could get ran over or eaten by a coyote. Poor things

I understand and think I would feel the same way, it's not the dogs fault that they are not controlled. They're just doing what predators do...

Hope your sister and the baby are doing well and you find all chickens safe on your return.

Kathy​

Last edited:
Take the money for the dead chickens,& buy an electric fence. They take 1/2 hour to set up. Set one line about 8 inches off the ground the other @ 16 inches. That takes care of weiner dogs & anything else.
wink.png

I've got a double whammy, goats and chickens.

The kids are at Grandma's for the summer so the 357 is loaded, and the neighbors have been warned.

Back
Top Bottom