Wyandotte, Barred Rock, Dominique, vs Rhode Island Red for rooster?

GimmeCake

Songster
6 Years
May 8, 2013
I wanted a friendly, yet protective of the flock rooster. Which is the best breed (listed in the title)? Even though I'd prefer those birds, if you know a good kind that'd help too! Thanks!

Someone I know had some aggressive RIR roosters, are RIR bad all the time?

If you never have had roosters then the I agree the RIR is not the rooster you want to start with. Not all of them are aggressive, but they tend that way. All of them can be good roosters. Once you start looking at individuals they all have different personalities, with different experiences to shape them. Of your list the Barred Rocks or Dominiques may be the best to try.

All roosters have the capacity to protect and to also be aggressive.

That being said, each rooster is different. Each reacts differently to percieved threats, hormones, dominance, etc.

I am partial to Dominiques, but we have processed Dominique roosters who have shown aggression. Even if they are beautiful birds that are better specemins that the others. Aggressive roosters taste great!

We had a rooster last fall who seemed to be coming along nicely, and showed great promise. Then he went after my 21 year old daughter. Then he went after a 3 year old child. Then he went to the processing pen. No unwarrented aggression towards humans are tolerated in my flock. Now, the rooster we have now is protective. My now 22 year old daughter was doing something (i don't remember what) in the breeding pen last week. One of the hens squawked and Abraham (my avatar) came up quickly to investigate and protect. The daughter got a nice scratch on her leg. However he didn't pursue her, and as soon as he felt there wasn't any danger, he backed off. She is still wary of him, but she understands that she sort of provoked him, even if unintensionally.

Some breeds have bad reputations, but I maintain that it depends on the rooster and its upbringing

I absolutely adore my marans roosters. Sweetest, calmest and most beautiful roos I've ever seen. Nice big handsome birds and gorgeous eggs! Let me add that I've had several marans now and their temperament has been consistant. I'll always have Marans...

Last edited:
Not sure if this is actually true or not, but I also think a calm and well behaved rooster is one who is pretty secure about how things go in the chicken yard. If you have screaming kids running around, or things going on that he may perceive as threatening - then maybe that makes em worse. Or not spending time with them and then all of a sudden bringing a bunch of people into their space... I spend alot of time puttering around with my critters, doing yard work, mowing etc and they are free ranging most of the time in the yard. We have dogs and cats that run and play and it doesnt bother the chickens...one chicken actually jumped up on the table saw while we were cutting 2x4's! Didn't expect that at all! no one was hurt thank goodness

Well, do you think I could take a duck and it will behave with the rest of the flock (including the rooster)? Also, would the hen food effect the duck's health?

I've had RIR, BSL, and Dominique roosters this spring/summer raised from hatched by me and day olds. The RIR was nasty to both people and the rest of the flock, the RIR hen is also showing the same tendencies. The Dominiques were the best. Most personable towards people f I was keeping roosters I would have kept one of them, He danced for the ladies, and wasn't overly aggressive towards them. The BSL... one was ok, the other not so much. I think you have to take each individual rooster's behavior into account. Personally, I'm fond of Dominiques. Would not choose RI

Back
Top Bottom