Wyandotte lacing pattern questions

dlamb82

Songster
Jan 19, 2019
Orange, VA
Hello! Is anyone able to post examples of good lacing, great lacing and poor lacing on wyandottes? I have glw and blrw chicks. The glw came from tractor supply so I probably won’t get any great lacing out of them based on what I’ve read but maybe I’ll get some good lacing, but my blrw came from a breeder so I’m hoping they’ll be great. Thank you!!

Here is an example of fantastic lacing on a SL Wyandotte bantam. This is the ideal.
20181027_064937.jpg

Here is an example of fantastic lacing on a SL Wyandotte bantam. This is the ideal.
View attachment 1747953
Thank you! She’s beautiful! So can you explain to me why it’s “fantastic”? I’m just trying to understand so I know what to look for in my own birds as they develop and mature. :idunno I also have a question about points in the lacing, I read it should be rounded and not pointed....I see some rounded on your hen and some points. It’s all very confusing for newbies! At least for me! :barnie

My first 2 glw are 6 weeks old. They’re lacing seems very pointy to me...this pic is from yesterday

Attachments

• 52D87CC9-8A5D-4954-B1E6-BD92CCA3AC4E.jpeg
    52D87CC9-8A5D-4954-B1E6-BD92CCA3AC4E.jpeg
    828.1 KB · Views: 50
Thank you! She’s beautiful! So can you explain to me why it’s “fantastic”? I’m just trying to understand so I know what to look for in my own birds as they develop and mature. :idunno I also have a question about points in the lacing, I read it should be rounded and not pointed....I see some rounded on your hen and some points. It’s all very confusing for newbies! At least for me! :barnie
It is fantastic because the lacing is really thick and solid. You are right, ideally all lacing should be round, but there is no such thing as the perfect bird.

It is fantastic because the lacing is really thick and solid. You are right, ideally all lacing should be round, but there is no such thing as the perfect bird.

Ok, that makes sense! So she is an example of a hen that could be used for a breeding program? I’m pretty sure I’ll have to purchase some chicks or eggs from a breeder for my glw and as my original intent was just eggs for the family when we purchased our chicks it wasn’t a big deal but now my husband has gotten the chicken bug and we’re looking at trying to start breeding next year after we get everything established.

Also keep in mind that your birds still have their juvenile pattern. My SLW (also from TSC) were all mostly black when they were little, but after their first adult molt, some of their lacing was surprisingly decent. With hatchery quality birds it can be a crap shoot of genetics, but occasionally you'll get one decent enough to breed. Never hurts to get some nice breeder quality birds to add to your flock. One high quality roo can make a world of difference in the quality of your chicks.

Also keep in mind that your birds still have their juvenile pattern. My SLW (also from TSC) were all mostly black when they were little, but after their first adult molt, some of their lacing was surprisingly decent. With hatchery quality birds it can be a crap shoot of genetics, but occasionally you'll get one decent enough to breed. Never hurts to get some nice breeder quality birds to add to your flock. One high quality roo can make a world of difference in the quality of your chicks.
Awesome! Thank you for the insight and I will definitely keep that in mind. :wee

Back
Top Bottom