Wyandotte Pullets... Why Do They Look Like Boys?

speckledhen

Intentional Solitude
Premium Feather Member
17 Years
Feb 3, 2007
Blue Ridge Mtns. of North Georgia
I mentioned this in another thread, that my hatchery Wyandottes are getting red combs and wattles way too early for pullets. Their color patterns look like pullets, but they are very red in the face for 8 and 9 weeks old. The SLW is a week older than the GLW. So, I do have girls, right?
Here is Vada, who looks much redder in person. This is not a male color pattern, right?
DCP_0817.jpg

DCP_0818.jpg

Here is Victoria:
DCP_0819.jpg

Virginia, the other SLW, looks the same color in the comb and wattles.

These came from Ideal as sexed pullets. I have never ordered from a hatchery-the local feedstore gets sexed pullets all the time. I did have an Ideal sexing mistake once, so maybe I'm paranoid. Wyandottes never used to get this red this soon. Just seems odd.
Here is my Lacy from my original flock at 3 months old-see? She's not red at all, just getting pink at that point. My other two were the same.
9abd8e61.jpg

Last edited:
How's their lacing on their backs at the base of their necks? I've found the pullets have distinct lacing while the roos are much more streaky looking. Of the 7 sexed SLW "pullets" I brought home this spring 4 were roos.

Quote:
Mine also came from Ideal. I swear to you[!!] my other SLW could be the twin of that one, even the funny big blob of white on the wing.

Back
Top Bottom