Wyandottes genders (and maybe-not-Wyandotte individual?)

Kimi BK

Songster
Oct 4, 2020
New Mexico, USA
Hey y'all,
We are looking for some help figuring out our Silver-Laced Wyandottes. I believe most are male. It looks to us like #5 and #6 in the attached photo are clearly female, and #3, #4, and #7 are clearly male?

#1 has a smaller comb and wattle (sorry, my husband's shirt makes it hard to see, since the wattle is right at his pocket flap) so we are holding out hope it might be a girl...?

#2 is a weirdo with that comb. Is it a Wyandotte? We ordered 25 chicks and one little grey one arrived dead. As chicks we thought we IDed them all, and figured that one of the easter eggers died. Now that this comb came in we are wondering if this one might be an easter egger, and it was a Wyandotte that died? The easter eggers are 3 different colors/patterns so none of them look alike. But they do have grey/green feet, and this one has yellow feet.

Wyandottes.jpg

Also, our Wyandottes all look a bit varied in patterning. I wonder if they just aren't the truest-bred batch of chicks? Or maybe they are maturing at different rates? Or is there a male-female difference in their coloring at this age?

How old are they when their adult (silver-laced) feathering comes in?

Thanks in advance for any insight! It's also really helpful if you can say how you can tell / what you are looking for to distinguish, so we can improve our eye & understanding.

Kimi

Hey y'all,
We are looking for some help figuring out our Silver-Laced Wyandottes. I believe most are male. It looks to us like #5 and #6 in the attached photo are clearly female, and #3, #4, and #7 are clearly male?

#1 has a smaller comb and wattle (sorry, my husband's shirt makes it hard to see, since the wattle is right at his pocket flap) so we are holding out hope it might be a girl...?

#2 is a weirdo with that comb. Is it a Wyandotte? We ordered 25 chicks and one little grey one arrived dead. As chicks we thought we IDed them all, and figured that one of the easter eggers died. Now that this comb came in we are wondering if this one might be an easter egger, and it was a Wyandotte that died? The easter eggers are 3 different colors/patterns so none of them look alike. But they do have grey/green feet, and this one has yellow feet.

View attachment 2440713
Also, our Wyandottes all look a bit varied in patterning. I wonder if they just aren't the truest-bred batch of chicks? Or maybe they are maturing at different rates? Or is there a male-female difference in their coloring at this age?

Thanks in advance for any insight! It's also really helpful if you can say how you can tell / what you are looking for to distinguish, so we can improve our eye & understanding.

Kimi
7 and 2 look like roosters!

Hey y'all,

View attachment 2440713

Kimi
and maybe 3 and 4...

Hey y'all,

View attachment 2440713

Kimi
You are welcome, Kimi!
I might rethink three, I had a Wyandotte, some thought it was a male, but it turned out to be a hen, we also have another hen who started looking like a rooster, but was a hen as well, sometimes the comb can be misleading...

Back
Top Bottom