Wyandottes - what is egg production like?

Quote:
lol...I figured out what BLRW and SL stand for, but you lost me at BBS
smile.png

BBS=blue, black and splash

Oh duh...I should know that, since those are the colors I'm breeding in silkies
roll.png

Wow...I really thought my chickens were going to be gone in a couple of years! I had no idea they could stick around so long. Guess I better plan my coop a bit bigger
smile.png

Well, it sounds like I will be adding a couple Wyandottes to my flock, thanks!

No one told her !! In fact she is in a hay pile right now with two banty hens so there will be a big egg and two little eggs just like tues.
tongue.png

The reason most people trade out their older layers after they are two or three years old is because the younger hens eat less food per dozen eggs laid, even including the extra cost of raising the new hens. But if you don't mind using a little extra feed, the older hens can be around for quite a while! I left some free-range hens in NH with my ex after our marriage broke up; they were about two then, I think, and at least one hen (totally free-range, he wasn't feeding her as far as I know) made it for another six years or so. These were dual-purpose birds; I think the last hen alive was a Black Australorp, but it was just the luck of the draw with the raccoons and hawks.

Kathleen

My BLRW's lay about 5 eggs a week. This is their first season. . . they were late to mature though. But still my favorite layers.

I've had five SLWs and one GLW and all of them were fabulous layers...till they began laying internally. I lost them all except two (sold those) to that ailment, but I also lost RIRs and have a BR and a Buff Orp with the same thing (all same hatchery), so it's not a breed thing.

my GLW is about 1.5-2 years old and lays about 4 a week right now. in spring/summer it was about 4.5 (when averaged for the month). her eggs are my favorite of my bunch too...just a hint of pink in an otherwise cream colored egg...super shiny and round. her personality is really sweet too.

Back
Top Bottom