Wyandottes with white legs

Oct 2, 2021
So I recently purchased some golden laced wyandottes sight unseen (I know) anyways they are quite the mixture 🤣
There are black laced red, blue laced red, splash laced red and some streaky terrible coloured ones.
3 have single combs (first red flag, obviously crossed I think?? Single combs don't show up on true wyandottes anymore do they??)
A few have white legs (is this indication of cross? Do some BLRW and BLW have white legs? They confuse me the most as they are nice (as can be at that terrible junior stage) conformation wise and the colouring and lacing is good...
Can I breed from these white legged pullets to a yellow legged roo or should I just cull them from the breeding pen?
This colour is not easy to find around here so am hoping to establish a decent flock through their chicks... there is 1 BLW pullet with yellow legs, and yellow legged BLW, BLRW and SLRW roos

White legs are a dominant trait (EDT got that backwards. Fixed it)... someone was outcrossing for a few generations.
Theoretically, you could have a single comb pop up in a rose comb family. It's recessive, and therefore, hard to breed entirely out. But I'm going to say you have mixes. If you want to play with them, and try to get good Wyandottes out, go for it. It's not like chickens are pedigreed. But it'll take you a long time.

So I recently purchased some golden laced wyandottes sight unseen (I know) anyways they are quite the mixture 🤣
There are black laced red, blue laced red, splash laced red and some streaky terrible coloured ones.
3 have single combs (first red flag, obviously crossed I think?? Single combs don't show up on true wyandottes anymore do they??)
A few have white legs (is this indication of cross? Do some BLRW and BLW have white legs? They confuse me the most as they are nice (as can be at that terrible junior stage) conformation wise and the colouring and lacing is good...
Can I breed from these white legged pullets to a yellow legged roo or should I just cull them from the breeding pen?
This colour is not easy to find around here so am hoping to establish a decent flock through their chicks... there is 1 BLW pullet with yellow legs, and yellow legged BLW, BLRW and SLRW roos
Yellow skin is recessive to white so you can use them.
Breed the white skinned ones to yellow skinned. The white skinned may carry yellow and if so half the offspring will have yellow.
If the white skinned ones do not all the offspring will have white but carry yellow so you can breed those and get some with yellow.
The good part is since yellow is recessive when you have the yellow you'll know they're pure for it. No surprises popping out later.

Do you have pictures? Hatchery bred wyandottes can have single combs and still be pure, but I’ve never heard of white legs.
Sorry they aren't very tame the Black one in the first photo is exact example lol he will be going though coz he's a roo must of missed giving him a red tag 😂 (I almost suspect he is a GLW not BLW 🤷‍♀️

Attachments

• 20220527_103906.jpg
    20220527_103906.jpg
    839.9 KB · Views: 13
  • 20220527_104444.jpg
    20220527_104444.jpg
    946.4 KB · Views: 12
  • 20220527_104341.jpg
    20220527_104341.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 17
Yellow skin is recessive to white so you can use them.
Breed the white skinned ones to yellow skinned. The white skinned may carry yellow and if so half the offspring will have yellow.
If the white skinned ones do not all the offspring will have white but carry yellow so you can breed those and get some with yellow.
The good part is since yellow is recessive when you have the yellow you'll know they're pure for it. No surprises popping out later.
Well that's good to know thanks 🙂

White legs are a dominant trait (EDT got that backwards. Fixed it)... someone was outcrossing for a few generations.
Theoretically, you could have a single comb pop up in a rose comb family. It's recessive, and therefore, hard to breed entirely out. But I'm going to say you have mixes. If you want to play with them, and try to get good Wyandottes out, go for it. It's not like chickens are pedigreed. But it'll take you a long time.
I suspect their is some cross-breeding in some but I don't think the whole lot are cross-bred so hoping to cull the single combs and most of the white legs, only got 1 BLRW pullet and she has white legs reason for my question lol I can always put a BLRW over the BLW and SLRW pullets and hopefully get a good couple of blues that way

Sorry they aren't very tame the Black one in the first photo is exact example lol he will be going though coz he's a roo must of missed giving him a red tag 😂 (I almost suspect he is a GLW not BLW 🤷‍♀️
I agree that they were outcrossed at some point. They aren’t too mixed though.
Also, the “black” one in the first picture is actually a blue laced red.

I suspect their is some cross-breeding in some but I don't think the whole lot are cross-bred so hoping to cull the single combs and most of the white legs, only got 1 BLRW pullet and she has white legs reason for my question lol I can always put a BLRW over the BLW and SLRW pullets and hopefully get a good couple of blues that way
You could also breed splash laced red to black laced red to get 100% blue laced reds.

Back
Top Bottom