Wyoming lifts ban on Narragansett turkeys

Next our birds will not be considered domestic because they mate naturally. Maybe they think that domesticated Turkeys should be artificially inseminated. That a bird still exhibits natural behaviors is a scary argument.
They were right to say that they do not have the authority. Listen, they have enough evidence to see that the breed is a domesticated breed. At this point they do not want to concede to the fact that they are wrong. If their current argument is truly that they have natural behaviors, or even characteristics of their ancestors, they have no business managing wildlife at all.

Last edited:
Jim, have you sent them any university links concerning recognized domesticated breeds of poultry? There is a few of them at least. I know Oklahoma State has them on their site. APA standard, etc? There is no shortage of documentation. I guess it burns me up that this is even a topic.

Recieved this a few minutes ago.....

Right now they are worried about the sentance "They are swift runners, fast fliers and like to roost in trees at night" that comes out of wickapedia and the Connecticut Beardsley Zoo. They think this means they will integrate with the wild turkey populations. I called the zoo today and left a message asking where that comes from. (Personal observation?) The only place I have seen it so far is on the zoo website http://beardsleyzoo.org/narragansettturkey-fk1 that is quoted by wickapedia and a website out of the UK http://www.kwintessential.co.uk/articles/turkey/Narragansett-Turkey/3442 (which doesn't say where they get their info).

I guess since a labordoodle will run fast, dig holes and catch and eat wild rabbits it should be banned before it breeds with the wolves.

Quote:
Documentation has been provided to the WGFC. LaDonna has requested their proof and evidence of why they say the Narragansett is a wild/domestic hybrid. Theyw ill not provide their proof...maybe beacuse the HAVE NO PROOF! We know they have no proof.

They made a mistake and now want to save face. The WGFC knows they are wrong. But it takes a big man to admit a mistake.

I spoke today with Matt Carling at the Wyoming Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit, Biological Science Building, University of Wyoming, Laramie, WY 82071-3166 Phone: (307) 766-5415
He agreed the Narragansett is domesticated. He advised we just keep on calling and emailing the WGFC until they back down.

LaDonna sent them a copy of Narragansett Standard from the 2010 SOP. So far the hard heads will not admit. If all ETF members and every BYC member will call and/or email them they will grow tired of us and give in. If not, we will just keep them busy with answering their phones!

WE WON!
From LaDonna:

==============

Yippee! WY G&F will now allow Narragansett turkeys in the state!

A HUGE THANK YOU to everyone who wrote letters, e-mailed and sent me information. You were great and made a difference!

LaDonna

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Date: Tue, 22 Nov 2011 17:48:43 -0700
Subject: Narragansett Turkeys
To: [email protected]
CC: [email protected]; [email protected]; [email protected]

LaDonna,

It was a pleasure to visit with you about this issue on the phone this evening. As we discussed, the Wyoming Game and Fish Commission regulations, chapter 10, state that domestic turkeys that are "distinguished morphologically from wild turkeys" qualify as domestic turkeys and do not require a permit for possession. Narragansett turkeys that display these characteristics would not require a permit for possession.

Please let me know if you have further questions.

Brian Nesvik

Wyoming Game and Fish Department

Chief Game Warden

Chief, Wildlife Division

[email protected]

307-777-4579

E-Mail to and from me, in connection with the transaction
of public business,is subject to the Wyoming Public Records
Act, and may be disclosed to third parties.

thumbsup.gif

Glad to know that perseverance and common sense won the day. All of your research and documentation will be helpful when the next state official makes a decision without all of the correct information.

We raise Narraganset turkeys and hope we won't have the same or similar challenge.

domestic turkeys that are "distinguished morphologically from wild turkeys" qualify as domestic turkeys and do not require a permit for possession

Should read (in the case of Wyoming): "Meleagris Gallopavo Merriami requires a permit for possession and/or breeding" Only way to completely clear up any confusion.

Congrats to Wyoming, and the Narris.
cool.png

Back
Top Bottom