Wyoming Unite!!!!

Pics
Hi everyone!!! Im currently in katy Tx, but in June were relocating to Sheridan. So glad I found a few chicken ppl. I was getting worried when links on facebook asking, were getting no responses from ppl in WY. Anyhow, I currently have Seramas, Silkies, Showgirls and just purchased a cute little 3 day old light Brahma. Plan is to bring a few of my favorites, but my breeds arent cold hardy. So wanted opinions on what you all think? Sell here, start over? Or they'll be fine if I ad heat in the coop. Im excited I found ppl from Wyoming!!! Yay! Are there other chicken groups in WY? Is it easy ro get birds? I usually order eggs, hatch, keep a few, sell the rest. Want to add cold hardy breeds once were there, but dont want to rely solely on shipped eggs.. I could quickly be over run. I had RIR, BR, wynadottes, australorps and a few cochins, but once they started laying, they were so loud. My HOA doesnt allow chickens, so I had to rehome, but couldnt be without chickens, so started over with smaller quieter breeds, none are to laying age yet.. close, but not yet..
smile.png
smile.png
welcome-byc.gif
and Welcome to Wyoming.

Here is a link to a pdf file containing the requirements for bringing poultry into the State of Wyoming. Personally I would sell them off where you are and then start fresh once you are established in Wyoming. I am also sure that the poster known as Red Horse Ranch who is located in Buffalo, Wyoming would be more than happy to sell you chickens once you are ready for them.

soswy.state.wy.us/Rules/RULES/8634.pdf

Hope you have a good move and enjoy your time in Wyoming. Good luck.

welcome-byc.gif
and Welcome to Wyoming.

Here is a link to a pdf file containing the requirements for bringing poultry into the State of Wyoming. Personally I would sell them off where you are and then start fresh once you are established in Wyoming. I am also sure that the poster known as Red Horse Ranch who is located in Buffalo, Wyoming would be more than happy to sell you chickens once you are ready for them.

<HEAD SMACK> I never even thought of that, R2! Shame on me for focusing on one side of the equation and not the import side.

<HEAD SMACK> I never even thought of that, R2! Shame on me for focusing on one side of the equation and not the import side.

Not very many do think about the laws when moving from state to state. I know that I certainly did not think about it back in the 70s when I moved to Wyoming.

A recent trend is people selling hatching eggs on eBay from flocks that are not NPIP certified and also not providing the proper paper work such as the NPIP form or the substitute veterinary certificate of health for the producing flock. Many of those people don't even know that they are shipping hatching eggs illegally and others just don't care. My recommendation to anyone buying hatching eggs that are being shipped to you is to ask for certificates before buying.

Hope everyone has a good day. It is really sunny here right now but this is Wyoming so who knows how long it will last.

Bob

Hi everyone!!! Im currently in katy Tx, but in June were relocating to Sheridan. So glad I found a few chicken ppl. I was getting worried when links on facebook asking, were getting no responses from ppl in WY. Anyhow, I currently have Seramas, Silkies, Showgirls and just purchased a cute little 3 day old light Brahma. Plan is to bring a few of my favorites, but my breeds arent cold hardy. So wanted opinions on what you all think? Sell here, start over? Or they'll be fine if I ad heat in the coop. Im excited I found ppl from Wyoming!!! Yay! Are there other chicken groups in WY? Is it easy ro get birds? I usually order eggs, hatch, keep a few, sell the rest. Want to add cold hardy breeds once were there, but dont want to rely solely on shipped eggs.. I could quickly be over run. I had RIR, BR, wynadottes, australorps and a few cochins, but once they started laying, they were so loud. My HOA doesnt allow chickens, so I had to rehome, but couldnt be without chickens, so started over with smaller quieter breeds, none are to laying age yet.. close, but not yet..
smile.png
smile.png

Welcome to the thread. I have a silkie and bantam brahmas in my mixed flock and they do fine. My serama trio didn't do as well outside so they winter( late Oct,-early April) in a 75 gal tank in the sun room.It isn't to bad getting birds around here,shipped eggs, most feed stores bring in production breeds each spring, and I've had good luck shipping in adult birds. You should have no problems setting up a flock when you get settled.

welcome-byc.gif
and Welcome to Wyoming.

Thanks for the shout out R2elk!

And welcome to Wyoming Texan!
welcome-byc.gif
You will find a lot of chicken lovers around here. I live in Buffalo, about a half hour south of Sheridan. I have 15 to 20 different breed of chickens at any given time. I am usually hatching chicks 8 or 9 months of the year. I also have guineas if your new home allows them.
A lot of people here insulate their chicken houses and put in a heat lamp when the really bitter cold hits. But not everybody. Some of my breeds aren't as cold hardy as others but they survive just fine in my insulated henhouse. I'm not familiar with some of the breeds you have but you can usually order about anything you want here.
Let us know when you get here and we hope you come to love Wyoming as much as we do!
smile.png

Welcome to Sheridan! I am a super beginner, I got 2 buff orpingtons a week ago. I got their coop put together yesterday while it was nearly 65 degrees out!! It is going to snow today. :(
I know there are a lot here in Sheridan who raise chickens in town, and in the country as well. I live just outside the city limits in a subdivision. I am just excited to finally get to have a couple chickens, we have a limit of 3 in our covenants so... Will be good to connect with you, good luck with your birds and hope to talk to you more.

We've got a storm moving in here on this side of the mountain too.....supposed to be wind gusts as high as 45, and one to three inches of snow. <sigh> Just because we bought all the materials to start our coop today. Now those wind speeds I don't worry about - in Wyoming that's just a breeze for drying clothes on the clothesline. You know you're in Wyoming when you step out the door and get a mouthful of Idaho. Old Man Winter is a long way from finished with us, I'm afraid.
old.gif

Back
Top Bottom