Wyoming Unite!!!!

The ones that are laying the eggs I got from a gal in Idaho...I actually drove there and picked up the eggs...I had such terrible luck trying to hatch my own shipped eggs. Then I also have several from a breeder in KY, Chestnut Ridge Farm. She sent me eggs, but none hatched, so I ended up having her hatch them and then she sent them to me as day olds.

http://chestnutridgefarm1.webs.com/apps/photos/album?albumid=11510647

Between what I have spent on FBCM and the Cream Legbars, I really should have some sort of insurance on them. LOL I have some Cuckoo Marans from Murray McMurray Hatchery...they lay a darkish brown egg, but nothing like FBCM.

Well My name is Scott also. I live in Lander also. I was hit with the chicken bug last year early spring and have not seen a let up at all. LOL. I have well over 100 chickens 6 different coops right now and over 20 different types of chickens. Alot of them rare types Maren's, Barenevelders, Isbars Jubilees, and so on. I enjoy learning about them and just being around them. I have tried hatching some out and have not had a lot of success. I look forward to meeting all of you and maybe trading some.

I'm looking at a couple places to relocate to, Wyoming made the short list.
As having a good sized flock to satisfy my chicken addiction and maybe make a few bucks selling eggs or birds locally hows the enviroment out there?
So far the western part of the state seems to meet my demand for snow trees and mountains.

Any advice, stories, or anything I should know about moving out there to start a farm?

I'm looking at a couple places to relocate to, Wyoming made the short list.
As having a good sized flock to satisfy my chicken addiction and maybe make a few bucks selling eggs or birds locally hows the enviroment out there?
So far the western part of the state seems to meet my demand for snow trees and mountains.

Any advice, stories, or anything I should know about moving out there to start a farm?

Star Valley is really nice but I would almost say southwest Wyo would be better. All the bigger cities are in the south. The largest city around here only has 9,0000 people and just got a big Wall mart. When it comes to shopping or entertainment those of us in northern western Wyo have to drive hours (the nearest mall is 2 hrs from me in Montana). Also specialized medical care is hard to get here.Don't get me wrong we have a hospital and all but if you need braces on your teeth, or get in an accident or complications with childbirth, they ship you to larger facilities.Billings or Denver sometimes even Salt Lake City.You have to be prepared for living rural.The upside is I now my neighbors, my kids are safe,and most violent crimes are committed by outsiders.

Thanks for the reply,
I must say that it will be a different life entertainment and shopping wise, but with the internet and good freinds population doesnt matter as much anymore.
Lived in or visited cities between 300 and 13,000,000 and it is usually the same routine. Get some food, or booze and hang around with the same 10-20 people, the only difference is how many new faces are in the background.

For this next phase of life rural has its benifits and you have listed them well.
My only real concern is the proximity to a VA clinic. I'm 99% independant, but that 1% is tethered to a visit every year or so.
Plus the closer it is, the more benefits I can have.

Back
Top Bottom