Wyoming Unite!!!!

Quail are wonderful animals and don’t deserve to live in a cage. Please don’t do that.

The Cheyenne animal rules are here:
City codes
If you can’t have chickens, I suggest you buy eggs from someone local. There are a few of us that advertise on Craigslist at very reasonable prices. It’s not as fun as having your own chickens but you can still get colorful eggs. 🙂
When it comes to Game Birds (by state definition, quail are game birds) the G&F sets the regulations. If you want to legally keep quail in Wyoming, they will be kept in an approved cage. The local game warden will inspect your set up prior to a permit to raise quail being issued.

Yeah, I know quail are kept in cages for a reason, but most of the setups that I have seen (not in person, but online) are crappy and small. A person can choose whether to keep them or not, and choosing to have a caged animal is not right, in my opinion. There are plenty of more humane ways to get meat or eggs.

Speaking for myself, I usually have extra eggs that I donate to the food bank. In our area the supply of eggs seems to outweigh demand and I see them advertised for cheap all the time. And since I am a chicken mathematician, I don’t see the supply going down any time soon :lol:

Thanks for the help. At least now I know for sure that yep quail are illegal in town. And I can decide if I really want to bother with chickens while living here.

@wyspinner If you do decide on chickens, you might check the SE Wyoming Poultry breeders group on Facebook. The guy who runs it sets up swaps once every month or two at Terry Bison. It’s an easy way to get some full grown birds and not have the expense of brooding. (And if you don’t already have chickens you can skip the hassle of quarantining them if you buy from only one person.)

Anyway, good luck with your decision 🙂

Zygocactus
full

full
Gorgeous!

If you do decide on chickens...

Anyway, good luck with your decision 🙂
I doubt we will do chickens while living in this house. There are too many complications. That rental house has had mostly awful folks in it from our point of view to the point where we actually fenced off a 6 ft by 20 ft section of yard beside the house to prevent complaints. I can imagine getting all set up with my birds and a renter deciding they are too noisy and filing a complaint or otherwise finding a way to make me have to remove them... only to move out in 6 months time... so why bother. Had quail been an option they would need less space, make less noise, etc. So for now we will do without.

Back
Top Bottom