yardies

tobagomitch

In the Brooder
6 Years
Oct 18, 2013
These grow wild in our town, belonging to no one and running freely in all the neighbours' yards. They are multicross birds of various coloring and some bare necked. About 60 -70 frequent my small farm and feed on the spilt rabbit food under my cages and roost in the adjoining scrub trees and my open warehouse..The eggs ( yardie eggs) are small, averaging about 42-52 grams but are highly prized and cost the same as large free range eggs.Roosters grow to about 3 - 4.5 lbs are expensive and considered game fowl here.
I am going to cross my Jersey Giants with them to produce a larger yardie bird and egg.I have placed 30 newly hatched yardies with my 98 jersey flock.They will be raised, vaccinated and crossbred alongside my Jerseys to be used as brooders for the eggs that I hatch and the cross roosters for meat.
I hope to keep this thread updated.My jerseys at 1 week are averaging 75 grams and will be weighed every Tuesday. At present I put fresh cut grass every other day and 20% protein starter of which they consume about 5 kilos per day automatic waterers are installed.I collect 5 gallon buckets of broken seashells and coral from a beach 2 miles from my farm and set it in trays for all my birds.

Can you post pictures of the adult yardies?

I'd like to see some pictures too.
smile.png

Will post pics of the yardies tomorrow am when they come for an early meal while feeding the rabbits.

Sorry all interested in yardies.We have had exceptional rain last two mornings and was unable to get pics.Hopefully tomorrow.

They are food for anyone who can catch one as they are very spooky and do not let you get closer than this.Only because I throw some food for them and they breed in my large shed do they allow me near..

Yes, I'm in the Caribbean on a small 1 1/2 acre fruit farm.I'm doing seasonal fruit,ducks, rabbits,amazon parrots,geese,broiler and layer chickens,agoutis and (agouti paca) as well as a
aquaponic herbal and mint system using Koi which I sell.

Back
Top Bottom