Yawn? Gag?

Megs72

In the Brooder
7 Years
May 24, 2012
Boston, MA Area
I am a new flock owner and starting out - I have 4 chicks, 2 leghorns and 2 buffs. They are 4 weeks, {image below} and they seem healthy and happy, but they sometimes look like they are yawing, or gagging.

I feed them chick starter, some pea shoots, and super worms as treats that I always make sure they have grit with treats. Is this a normal behavior?

Any advice is much appreciated!

I have no idea what it is that they are doing, but wanted to let you know that my (very healthy) chicks do it also.
Your chicks are adorable, btw!

Wow, my Austra White looks just like your leghorns! (Austra white is Australorp x leghorn.) I'd been wondering if that big comb means it's a rooster, since none of my other chicks (different breeds) have one. I'm not so concerned now! Mine are a little older - about 5 1/ weeks, I think.

I was (AM) worried they are a roo too! The combs seem big and the leghorns are much bigger than the buffs.

Oh well I guess Ill find out! :) Im lucky if they turn out to be a roo I have someone who wants them.

I was (AM) worried they are a roo too! The combs seem big and the leghorns are much bigger than the buffs.

Oh well I guess Ill find out! :)  Im lucky if they turn out to be a roo I have someone who wants them.

No need to worry. Leghorns have HUGE combs very early. They are all still yellow, which is a very good sign :)

They do that yawn/gag thing to adjust their crop. If they do it very often, I might be concerned, but every chicken does it occasionally. Even when they are full grown. Something could get stuck in their throat, and that's how they fix it.

Back
Top Bottom