Yawning unwell chuck

HelenR

In the Brooder
Feb 27, 2020
Brahma chicken been off food for a while loosing weight and diarrhoea She has been treated for worms/ parasites this last month and coccidiosis a few months ago as really poorly then but picked up really well .Have force feed her as per vets instructions which helped her a little, she is eating but not usual stuff or treats. She has started to yawn a lot too but would of thought worming stuff vet gave me would of covered it all. She seems down in dumps, head pulled in a lot of the time. Not sure what else I can do anyone have any ideas ?
thank u in advance

Yawning can be from a crop that has backed up and isn't emptying. Possibly the worm load following deworming has neither been absorbed or excreted and could be blocking her intestines.

First check the crop in the morning to have an idea how it's emptying. It should be empty after not eating all night. If it is full, then treatment for a blockage might be a good idea.

Come back in the morning and give us a status report on the crop condition, and we'll discuss how to proceed.

Yawning can be from a crop that has backed up and isn't emptying. Possibly the worm load following deworming has neither been absorbed or excreted and could be blocking her intestines.

First check the crop in the morning to have an idea how it's emptying. It should be empty after not eating all night. If it is full, then treatment for a blockage might be a good idea.

Come back in the morning and give us a status report on the crop condition, and we'll discuss how to proceed.
Hi
Thank you
I have checked her this morning and the crop isn’t completely empty but there is not a lot in there to be fair
I will check her tonight before bed to see how full it is to get a comparison
The vet has asked me to monitor her weight as the other Brahma hens I have range between 3.3 and 4.5 kg she waivering between 2.6 and some days can be 2.9 so she goes up a little then down again
I don’t know if she struggling more due to previous parasite infection has permanently damaged her insides or whether the fact that they are not allowed out due to avian flu at the moment and these hens are used to just wandering around the garden all day
Really grateful for your thoughts as no idea what else to do now
Thanks Helen

Back
Top Bottom