YAYAY FIRST EGG!! and a problem... :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by amaurer, Apr 18, 2012.

1. amaurer

amaurer Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2011
    Well first happy news - my California's laid their first egg today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[​IMG]

... but also some bad news; one of the hens has been BADLY pecked. We have 6 hens and 1 male, and for whatever reason he just really likes (or hates, I guess) this one hen.

Shes missing all her feathers on the back of her head and now its looking raw and nearly bloody.

[​IMG]

What to do???? :(

2. yinepu

yinepu Overrun With Chickens

looks like she's being scalped.. are you sure she's a she?

I would move her to a separate cage for now and let her heal up..

3. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    99% sure; male californias look quite different. I DO live by San Francisco, maybe shes a transsexual or something?

But even worse...

... the male escaped when we were trying to isolate her.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

None of these birds are smart enough to use the recall chute in the side of their pen (thats how we lost the other males) so he's probably a goner. So much for my grand quail experiment. ******.

4. yinepu

well hopefully he gets lonely for the girls and you get him before a predator does...

5. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    Mr. Genius is back... no idea how to get him inside tho if he doesn't choose the chute on his own.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

6. yinepu

do you have a net?... not sure what else to try

or can you gently herd him towards the chute somehow?

7. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    I assume I'll be trying all of the above... but I'm not hopeful. These guys are still pretty wild, he won't let me get close.

8. yinepu

[​IMG]

9. amaurer

Apr 17, 2011
    Holy ****, he's in! Your finger-crossing worked!!

Now, for the hen... nothing to do but isolate her?

10. yinepu

I would isolate her for now.. give her a chance to heal.. maybe some of the other cali quail people can chime in...
    hopefully once she's healed up he will decide to let her back into your colony

if you have some plain neosporin (the kind without pain killer) that you can gently rub onto the wound it will help keep the bugs off and also help it to heal

btw CONGRATS on getting him back!!!

Last edited: Apr 18, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by