Year old drake trying to mate my 2 month old girl

Perhaps you can put up a strong barrier where they can see each other, but not have contact such as a couple of cages side by side or something like that. Then, we she's a few months older, you can let them be together.

The Duck ABC's :

I don't think he will drown her, because she can dive under and make him flip into the water. He can, however, hurt her leg joints if he mates her on the ground. She needs to be at least 3 months old before you let him mate her. 4 months is better.

He can absolutely drown her in his zeal to be her prom date.

I agree with Desert Darlene that separation is best until she is older.​

Quote:
I have been searching on what to do for my ducks and seeing this post is the first I've found. Can you give me more info on hurting leg joints...I have adult male/female peking ducks. We incubated eggs and have 2 babies (now 2 months) we put them together and all seemed fine until I heard my adult female(Daisy) making a lot of noise. Apparently adult male (Donald) was mating with one of the little ones (Arnold who we just found out is a girl so she is Miss Arnold..lol) Anyway, I scared him off and she was walking on her legs, not her feet. Like her butt was dragging on the ground. I picked her up and noticed hair missing around her wings. She has been sitting a lot so I don't think this was the first time. I have since separated them and don't know if I am going to keep Donald. I feel so horrible for not noticing this before and I don't know if Miss Arnold will recover or not. She has been panting often. I can't seem to find any answers online so any advice would be helpful.

So far nobody has replied to any of my previous posts so I hope someone can help me out with this one today /:

I have a 2 month old baby girl that recently lost her partner( a two month duck.) so we tried to bring her back to happiness and so we got her a male friend. We forgot about mating and how shes still a little girl around a grown man lol, and just today in the kiddie pool he tried to mate with her. she was kinda drowning and didnt know what to do so I took him out but he kept trying and trying.
Im trying to give him to someone who can use a year old drake but I havent had any luck. Is it a better idea to separate them for a while?
Im just afraid of leaving her alone because she starts crying and getting depressed. She hates being left alone and I really dont know where I could put them..
im afraid of him trying to mate at night when Im sleeping & nobody will be there to protect her ..

what should I do??
any ideas??
I think you need to get more females. I’ve heard 3 to one helps. Your little girl will love some girlfriends.
I’m worried about the same problem. I have a4 month old Cayuga and three female ducklings about 9 weeks old and I’m freaking out he’s going to be ready before them and hurt them. I feel bad separating him from the girls but I might need to. Does anyone have any ideas?

I think you need to get more females. I’ve heard 3 to one helps. Your little girl will love some girlfriends.
I’m worried about the same problem. I have a4 month old Cayuga and three female ducklings about 9 weeks old and I’m freaking out he’s going to be ready before them and hurt them. I feel bad separating him from the girls but I might need to. Does anyone have any ideas?
Lol this is a VERY old thread but I have the same age difference between some of my ducks and there have been no problems. I wouldn't separate them unless you actually notice a problem or aggression/injuries.

Can you make a divider for your drake and young duck? Then they will be able to stay connected but she’s still safe. I supervise my drake in the flock and he’s tried to mount the 1 month ducks but he gives up bc he has 2 his own age he can seduce. But I’ve had to help redirect him to the older girls so he doesn’t hurt the young ones. They are fast enough to run away but he’s managed to grab one but they holler and I can take him off... they’ve learned to stay out of his way when he’s in the mood. Other than that they all get along great and hangout together successfully.

Back
Top Bottom